Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul custom

Turko

I purchased a made in Korea (Unsung) 2004 Les Paul custom from Ebay auction.Can someone supply pickup info? Are these original? I have a complete Epiphone wiring harness with push/pull coil split,2 Alfa 500 a pots and 2 500k Alfa b pots ,3 way epi switch,epi output jack,and one probucker 2 neck and a probucker 3 bridge pickup.Alo are with quick connect ,so,no soldering.Im wondering which pickups might sound better than the other.Any Info appreciated. Sorry can't seem to load photos.

Your 04 LP Custom typically used Alnico Classic humbuckers, Alnico V's. Try for a while they are decent pickups, experiment with your amp and effect settings, see if you like them. Some people like to go bright on the neck PU and warm on the bridge, but thats up to your ear. Their are tons of aftermarket PU's you can try.

Below is an explanation/comparison of current Humbuckers from Gibson support.

The Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro humbuckers use Alnico V magnets and are evenly wound. They are similar to the Gibson ’57 Classic humbuckers, but(to my ears) a little brighter due to the Alnico V magnet.

The Epiphone ProBucker pickups are unevenly wound and use Alnico II magnets. They are similar in tone and output to the Gibson Burstbucker pickups.  Thanks again, and I hope this helps!

Gibson Customer Service 
1-800-4GIBSON

Gibson '57 Classics = Alnico II's
Gibson Burstbucker = Alnico II's
Gibson Burstbucker Pro = Alnico V's (NEW pickup mentioned here).

Epi Alnico Classic = Alnico V's
Epi Alnico Classic Pro = Alnico V's
Epi ProBucker = Alnico II's

Edited by mihcmac

I am saying that the 04 LP Custom came with Alnico Classic humbuckers and since the LP Custom came with Push/Pull pots the Alnico Classic would be a 4-wire + Gnd to accommodate coil tapping. Gibson is saying the Alnico Classics sound similar to the Gibson 57 Classic but may be a little brighter.

In addition, the Gibson tech in the letter I posted is saying, the Epi ProBuckers are similar in tone and output to the Gibson Burstbucker.

FYI, I am not a fan of push/pull pots for coil tapping and would rather have full sized CTS (or equivalent) without coil tapping.

Edited by mihcmac

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a REAL comparison of a Gibson 57 Classic Neck (860-15003-L 04/09/15) and an  Epiphone ProBucker-2 Neck (PB2NHBN-4 2013/05).

Seems as though the Epi pickup is essentially the same as the Gibson. Biggest difference is the Epi has cheap covers, that if removed, make the ProBucker 2 pretty much exactly like the Gibson.

Gibson 57 Classic versus a stock Epiphone Humbucker

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for input.I played the alninco classics and thought they were ok.This week I replaced all electronics and put in the probucker pickups,which sound pretty good.Im going to get some 2 wire quick connect adapters and put them on the classics,then I can switch back when needed.I do think the original pots were better than the new Alfa pots.