Gibson Brands Forums

New Kitty and External Problems

badbluesplayer

We got a new kitty.  Female, no name yet.  We have three other cats and two dogs.

242922002_10222796427512501_194923536344

So me and my wife are at the Farmer's Market this morning just before dawn setting up her EZ-Up.  She sells figs and baked goods.  She's all jammed in between this guy and that lady and we're all shifting our tents around to get set up and the guy is hogging his space really bad.  So I ask him to shuffle over a little and the guy's all  "Well, I didn't notice!!!!"  I told the guy the lines are painted right there on the pavement.   He's goes "I'm not intimidated by your behavior.  I'm trying to make the most of my morning and you have exssssternal problems that you need to deal with that are getting in the way of you being a good person!"

• Like 3

Sounds like he's takin the view that the best defense is a good offense.   That's how these folks roll -  step on your toes and blame you for putting your foot under theirs.

You have to step back, take a breath and realize their ego is writing checks their brains can't cash.  Then, you can turn away and forget him.  Great practice  - because there's lots of axe holds like that out there.     

If cats and dogs can get along -  we can get along with people like that.  By making our point, but not being trapped into an escalating argument.     Because that's what they want - feeds their ego's need for 'conflict and drama'.   😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

So me and my wife are at the Farmer's Market this morning just before dawn setting up her EZ-Up.  She sells figs and baked goods.  She's all jammed in between this guy and that lady and we're all shifting our tents around to get set up and the guy is hogging his space really bad.  So I ask him to shuffle over a little and the guy's all  "Well, I didn't notice!!!!"  I told the guy the lines are painted right there on the pavement.   He's goes "I'm not intimidated by your behavior.  I'm trying to make the most of my morning and you have exssssternal problems that you need to deal with that are getting in the way of you being a good person!"

So it must be that HIS space isn't all he was hoggin', eh?   To me, it sounds as if he spends way too much of his spare time on FartBook  and forgot how to deal with real people in a real world situation.   I mean, if you didn't actually shove him and/or his tent and growl a surly "Move it over, buster!" , how would doing otherwise not make you a good person?   You claim you ASKED him to "shuffle over a little" and I have no reason to disbelieve you.  And that you asked nicely.  It appears it's HE that has the "external" problems.  And really, more like INTERNAL issues.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 9/25/2021 at 9:08 AM, badbluesplayer said:

We got a new kitty.  Female, no name yet.  We have three other cats and two dogs.

242922002_10222796427512501_194923536344

Yeah.  Naming pets can be difficult.  But some are clever at it.  For instance...

My brother in law had a huge mutt he named "Scruffy".  And going by the dog's appearance, no other name was suitable.   And.....

My wife used to get her hair cut at a particular place.  One day while there with her I noticed a blue parakeet in a cage in the place.  So, to make conversation, I asked the girl who ran the place the parakeet's name.  She replied, "Flip."   With a puzzled tone I asked, "Flip?"  and she came back with, "Yeah, you know.... Flip.  The bird."  [cool]

My daughter once had a pet rabbit she named "Stu".   [wink]

One of my nieces once had a little toy something or other dog she named "Squeaky".  When I asked why that name, she simply said, "Step on 'im."   [biggrin]

My brother however, had one dog long ago he named "Poochie".  And years later a cat he named "Cat".  :rolleyes:   He never had any children, which is good because I couldn't imagine what THEIR names would have been.

Whitefang

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, Whitefang said:

Yeah.  Naming pets can be difficult.  But some are clever at it.  For instance...

Whitefang

My sister-in-law had 'barn cats' and they seemed to be fodder for the coyotes, (Bend, OR).

She named them  #1, #2, #3, etc.   I think she finally gave up on replacing the cats when she was naming them #11 & #12.

• Haha 1

It's a shame we in the USA have degenerated from a reasonably civilized nation to a barbarian one.

In a civilized country we actually like being nice to one another.

I blame FOX and right plus MSNBC and left for manipulating the population with the tried and true methods of fear and anger. A divided nation is easy to rule, and while we are fighting among ourselves, the plutocrats are laughing all the way to the bank.

I see the problem, but don't know how to fix it.

The guy's proper response would have been to apologize and move to his side of the line. That would have been the civilized way to act.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 2

Well NOTES.....

I wouldn't consider the entire nation to be barbarous,  but true, a disheartening good portion.  I still run across pleasant folk in my travels about,   but also peripherally notice behavior in some that transcends the perceived "normal" levels of rudeness.  Why, just a week ago, two neighbors of mine almost came to blows over one person's grass clippings getting on the other's driveway.  Seemed the one guy didn't want to wait for the other to get done mowing his lawn before cleaning them up!  :rolleyes:  Now, the guy next door to me will usually get clippings on my drive when he cuts his grass.  But I've told him before not to worry about it.  That the wind and rain will take care of it.  [wink]    

Now, why couldn't the one neighbor have taken that stance?  After all, I didn't notice those grass clippings doing any premeditated and serious damage to his driveway.

Whitefang

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well NOTES.....

I wouldn't consider the entire nation to be barbarous,  but true, a disheartening good portion.  <...snip...>

Now, why couldn't the one neighbor have taken that stance?  After all, I didn't notice those grass clippings doing any premeditated and serious damage to his driveway.

Whitefang

Not everybody in this nation is barbarous, but the personality of the nation as a whole, from our elected leaders, to the political "news" pundits, to social media posters, and on and on and on, the personality as a whole is barbarian.

And as long as we keep fighting among ourselves the real leaders of this country, the plutocrats know we will be so busy fighting among ourselves that we won't stand up to them, and while our standard of living creeps lower and lower, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

We need to start being tolerant of people with opposing viewpoints, we need to turn off political hate-and-fear media, and we need to re-learn the art of compromise, which kept our country on an even keel for over 200 years.

However, I don't see that change coming just yet. Perhaps in the future, we will learn we can't control the robber-barons by fighting each other.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Not everybody in this nation is barbarous, but the personality of the nation as a whole, from our elected leaders, to the political "news" pundits, to social media posters, and on and on and on, the personality as a whole is barbarian.

And as long as we keep fighting among ourselves the real leaders of this country, the plutocrats know we will be so busy fighting among ourselves that we won't stand up to them, and while our standard of living creeps lower and lower, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

We need to start being tolerant of people with opposing viewpoints, we need to turn off political hate-and-fear media, and we need to re-learn the art of compromise, which kept our country on an even keel for over 200 years.

However, I don't see that change coming just yet. Perhaps in the future, we will learn we can't control the robber-barons by fighting each other.

I gave up on ALL news.... they can take any story and make it bad..... we've all seen how ALL news manipulates stories and photos to make us hate one another.

And...I'm much more at peace now for it.

• Like 1

Cute kitty - hope it gets along with the others.  My significant other had two male cats from the same litter.  Then she got a female that was abandoned.  Turns out in the cat world the female is the boss so the two brothers started fighting over who gets to be close to her (all three neutered, but instinct still takes over).  The larger of the two males and the female started attacking the smaller male to the point that after some bloody battles I ended up with the smaller one at my house.

Anyway I think external problems are probably better than internal ones 🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Turns out in the cat world the female is the boss

For the most part, not just the CAT world!  [wink]   Like Dad always said.....

"Women have a lot of power.  They control half the money,  and ALL the p-ssy!"  \:D/

Whitefang

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, Notes_Norton said:

It's a shame we in the USA have degenerated from a reasonably civilized nation to a barbarian one.

In a civilized country we actually like being nice to one another.

I blame FOX and right plus MSNBC and left for manipulating the population with the tried and true methods of fear and anger. A divided nation is easy to rule, and while we are fighting among ourselves, the plutocrats are laughing all the way to the bank.

I see the problem, but don't know how to fix it.

The guy's proper response would have been to apologize and move to his side of the line. That would have been the civilized way to act.

I heartily agree.  Someone much more clever than I (perhaps someone else on the Forum here?) once said, "We can't have civilization without civility."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Natural said:

I heartily agree.  Someone much more clever than I (perhaps someone else on the Forum here?) once said, "We can't have civilization without civility."

Sure.  After all;    The word is CIVIL-ization.  [wink]

Or too, the problem might be----

The "right" never is, and the "left" hasn't yet.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1