Gibson Brands Forums

Just curious : do you have (or have you had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electrics ?

62burst

Just curious : do you have (or have you had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electrics ?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum. Do acoustic players live in a place where they can appreciate both Gibson and Martin guitars, and might have been electric players at one time, but have now found themselves drawn to both Gibson and Martin acoustics, and may have little interest in the electric guitars made by Gibson. (?)

• I have (or have had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electric guitars
    • I have (or have had) more Gibson electric guitars than I have (or have had in the past) Martin acoustic guitars

This is a poll I didn't see coming. 

And can't vote - never owned a Gibson electric (the Tele was enough).

My 3 Marts, especially the HD-28V and the Custom Slope D-18, are tremendously good guitars.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   And no, don't believe this section is known for M-bashing, in fact opposite - a lot of praising has been goin' on through the years. A healthy tolerance for the brand.                                                                                                                                               What happens other places, fx the Lounge, is beyond my radar - I'm a citizen in the Acoustic Village. . 

24 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

. . . And can't vote - never owned a Gibson electric (the Tele was enough).

My 3 Marts, especially the HD-28V and the Custom Slope D-18, are tremendously good guitars.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   And no, don't believe this section is known for M-bashing, in fact opposite - a lot of praising has been goin' on through the years. A healthy tolerance for the brand.                                                                                                                                               What happens other places, fx the Lounge, is beyond my radar - I'm a citizen in the Acoustic Village. . 

You certainly are qualified to vote- your experience puts you in the first selection, "I have (or have had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electric guitars".  

And thanks for echoing the impression that many here do have some nice Martins, and have "a healthy tolerance for the brand".

Edited by 62burst

I'm 2-1 acosutic/electric. A 00018, a National Vinatge Steel and a frankenStrat. In the last decade, I had a J35 and a J45, so maybe make that 4-1.  Lust objects (subject to change) are a D28 and a Tele.  Just not jonsing for a Gibson right now. Once you get into the Martin spectrum, it's hard to step back (akin to the difference between a Jazzmaster and a Tele or a humbucker vs a P90).

Speaking of electrics, I think Teles pair up well with Martin dreads and OMs, in terms of feel and response.  Les Pauls and 00028s, dark sound.  An acoustic counterpart to a strat is harder for me to peg. I used to think J45, although the scale is different, but recently I was listening to Knopfler's Alechemy thought: strat=classical. Check the lines in Love over Gold then listen to Sultans, both ahve a skittering quality. In his hands, anyway. Cheers.