Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Did I just ruin my brand new LP Junior’s finish??

LeoVannucci

13 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Aahh.....

Good tip.

Best wishes Leo, hope something works....I'd love to hear a little about the music scene where you are in Peru.

[cool]

Thanks jdgm!

The music scene is pretty colourful… it goes from everything you’ll find in probably everywhere these days (rock, blues, metal, jazz, rap, electronic, pop, pop rock, etc) to of course the typical stuff from Peru (folk music of the Andes, cumbia, salsa, and things that are of course latin oriented). I’d say the taste in music has changed in the past 20 years,  before, the only thing “mainstream” was the mentioned Peruvian music, however these, there’s a much bigger audience and support for everything guitar oriented too. Peru is now also one of the main countries in South America included in the world tours of many big artists such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns & Roses and more.

I personally play guitar in a “punk rock metal” band called Bastardos and I do vocals in a metal band called Prometeo. Here are the links for you to check them out:

https://instagram.com/bastardosperu?utm_medium=copy_link

https://instagram.com/prometeoperu?utm_medium=copy_link

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

If worse comes to worst, how about a sticker?

Peace Sign?

Hello Kitty?

Epiphone E?

Fake Bullet Hole?

Unicorn? (forget that one)

Or just glue a knob over the top, so it looks like another potentiometer.

Actually, perhaps if you give it gentle warmth it might clear up by itself in time (hopefully)

Good luck,

Notes

9 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Peace Sign?

Hello Kitty?

Epiphone E?

Fake Bullet Hole?

Unicorn? (forget that one)

Or just glue a knob over the top, so it looks like another potentiometer.

Actually, perhaps if you give it gentle warmth it might clear up by itself in time (hopefully)

Good luck,

Notes

How about a "Not Today Satan" sticker? 

Stickers are for cases and car windows.

True however he did this to get the finished checked/crackled. I don’t mind the little crackling that happened on mine, I just want to remove the white haze around it (superficial).

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Leo, I'm guessing that what you've done is similar to what Danish Pete (From the Anderton's YouTube channel) did to his guitar:

I hope you can rectify it!

On 9/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, LeoVannucci said:

Hehe, those are all mods done myself. Here’s the spec list:

2021 Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Tobacco Burst)

Upgrades:

Kluson Locking Tuners and metal buttons
Schaller S-Locks
WD Custom Pickguards Custom pickguard
Graph Tech Guitar Labs Sonic 1 Bridge
String Butler V3
Gibson Accesories: Gold Speed knob & Top Hat knob (mismatched) and Historic knob pointers
GRUV GEAR Fretwrap black
Wedgie pick holder
Elixir Strings Optiweb 10-46 — en Perú.

Leo I think the nitro finish is too new to try and correct, the splatter will most likely fade after a while. 

513FA626-34A4-4935-A300-61006A807C4E.thu

Edited by mihcmac

I agree with the others, merciful-evans and Ian Henry, and like them, the Peter Honore video got me to thinking also;

What if you hit that area with a blow-dryer, on high heat?

Heat it up for thirty seconds and see if the strange pattern fades. 
Heat it up again for longer, and see if it fades permanently?

What do you have to lose?

😬

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I agree with the others, merciful-evans and Ian Henry, and like them, the Peter Honore video got me to thinking also;

What if you hit that area with a blow-dryer, on high heat?

Heat it up for thirty seconds and see if the strange pattern fades. 
Heat it up again for longer, and see if it fades permanently?

What do you have to lose?

😬

I did think of that and as a matter of fact I did try using the blower too. Nothing happened. I could’ve let the are get a lot hotter than what I did, but in all honesty I don’t think it’s worth the risk of ruining things. I was told via email by Gibson that the superficial “octopus” shaped splatter, will probably disappear using a cleaner such as Virtuoso, but, the checking I caused, won’t unless it’s deeply buffed (with a wheel) since it will melt the nitro with friction and also buff it at the same time…

A bunch of us want to know how the Virtuoso works out. 

As for melting the nitro using heat. I cant help but wonder if it would reverse patina (finish checking) on an old model. Its possible old nitro would be too dry, but 'reliced' finish checking probably would be lost on a newer model. Presumably undoing the Murphy Lab work. 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, LeoVannucci said:

Logic sometimes works in mysterious ways my friend! Trust me, being dangerously OCD about guitars for over 25 years of owning them - and, knowing myself and how crazy I used to get on stuff like this, my new logic is the least expensive (both money and mentally wise) for me.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Although I've let go lately. Well, to a degree. New guitar + OCD = not fun. 

A tip for setting up a guitar or adjusting something if you have OCD: pretend it's someone else's guitar you're working on. You cut back on accidents. 

There's always a first ding. You didn't ruin anything. You got a scratch on brand new nitro. It's very, VERY susceptible to scratching when it's new. Impossible to avoid if you're playing it, really. 

But I know... OCD is not logical. The guitar is fine, though. 

I’m just waiting for the Virtuoso stuff to arrive and try it. I’m not worried, as a matter of fact, my OCD hasn’t kicked in at all, lol.

I just want to remove the “splatter” shaped pattern if possible, and if it doesn’t go away, I’ll live with it.

I play this guitar everyday for practice and will use it live so as I’ve previously said, it’s bound to get damaged for sure and I love it.

Edited by LeoVannucci
  • Like 2