Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Did I just ruin my brand new LP Junior’s finish??

LeoVannucci

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

WAITING with abated breath...     

or in Sgt. Pepper's case  - bait breath.... 

I forgot you had a Ph.d in English and know all them fancy $2 words, me just a dumb B.S. Liberal Arts degree.

Isn't it supposed to be bated breath?

Here is what I found on the net which is as we know always right:

"Bated" is a form of the word "abate," which means “to diminish, beat down, or reduce,” and it's spelled B-A-T-E-D. ... “Baited breath” spelled that way—like fish bait—is wrong.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I forgot you had a Ph.d in English and know all them fancy $2 words, me just a dumb B.S. Liberal Arts degree.

"Bated" is a form of the word "abate," which means “to diminish, beat down, or reduce,” and it's spelled B-A-T-E-D. ... “Baited breath” spelled that way—like fish bait—is wrong.

Yep. You nailed it Chief.    "Bated"  is derived from "Abated".  As in  "holding your breath".        Baited breath is fishy.  Was an English major for 3 semesters,   then switched. Didn't think it would get me any real jobs.     

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep. You nailed it Chief.    "Bated"  is derived from "Abated".  As in  "holding your breath".        Baited breath is fishy.  Was an English major for 3 semesters,   then switched. Didn't think it would get me any real jobs.     

My Liberal Art Degree probably didn't either. 

Yeah I got the bait joke. It didn't need to be explained to me and if you do the joke isn't funny.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How long does it take to put a drop of polish on a guitar and wipe it off. 

Actually I’m going to remove my pickguard, the bridge and the volume knob, so I can effectively buff this stain out, it’s quite big and it’s all around the bottom side of the pickguard too. It will take some time.

2 hours ago, LeoVannucci said:

Actually I’m going to remove my pickguard, the bridge and the volume knob, so I can effectively buff this stain out, it’s quite big and it’s all around the bottom side of the pickguard too. It will take some time.

Just long enough to make you regret not leaving it alone. 

RBSinTo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hotshot said:

I've come to the conclusion that compressed air should be "banned". My wife sprayed my  computer with that stuff and that liquid came out on my keyboard and it was" toast"!!! I hope you have better luck than I did.

On the bright side your keyboard probably didn't cost $15000.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, hotshot said:

I've come to the conclusion that compressed air should be "banned". My wife sprayed my  computer with that stuff and that liquid came out on my keyboard and it was" toast"!!! I hope you have better luck than I did.

I learned the hard way to not to trust that stuff while back

At least to make a test discharge to some direction where it wont screw with anything.  

it never used to be that way, but now,,  more subpar sh-- from china.

for getting dust off guitars and such, nothing is more safe and effective than a brand new 1 or 2 inch painters brush

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

At least to make a test discharge to some direction where it wont screw with anything.  

for getting dust off guitars and such, nothing is more safe and effective than a brand new 1 or 2 inch painters brush

That is why on most say with guitar polish  start with a small area on the back to see how it reacts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kidblast said:

If it is only dust one is trying to remove, why use anything other than a clean, soft rag or the aforementioned soft paint brush?

Using a solvent-ladened liquid seems to be a bit of risky overkill. 

At the very least, I'd discuss my options with Luthiers I know and trust before schpritzing, squeezing or pouring anything on my guitars.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Well guys here’s the result, in short words.

virtuoso did remove all of the “cloudiness” that was sitting on top of the lacquer, remember that the compressed air “liquid” fell on the guitar as a blob of liquid, as a drop of water that “splashed” leaving a circle with little “tentacles” around it.

Virtuoso has made this invisible in terms of no white colouration is visible, however unfortunately to me, this “liquid” out of the compressed air can did “corrode” or “eat” a bit of the clear coat, so while you can’t feel it with your fingers or can’t even really see it at all, if you angle the guitar on the light you will see it there, but as an indentation and not a stain.

The crackling that was accidentally caused with the compressed air can was of course, not able to be removed.

Edited by LeoVannucci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe he knew it, maybe not.  But Forty swiped an old gag from THE BOWERY BOYS.   If you might(or not) recall, actor LEO GORCEY, who was the character "Slip" Mahoney usually butchered the language,  usually with humorous malapropisms.    In one instance, after arranging to meet a girl for a date at some location  and at a certain time, he told her, "I'll be waiting with bait breath!"   [biggrin]

In another, he once said a certain individual was at "The pineapple of his career"( instead of "pinnacle"  [wink])

And if you like that sort of thing, check out some of popular '50's and early '60's comedian NORM CROSBY.  

Whitefang