Gibson Brands Forums

Price Increases on New Gibson Guitars Across the Board

Leonard McCoy

Yep, and higher shipping prices have kicked in.

I just trimmed my herd by three, apparently with lucky timing, as two went across the country. An unpredictable side-effect...I'm playing fewer guitars a lot more. I think I've fine-tuned what suits my style and songs I dig playing. Time to lay low for a while, though it's a buyers market on Reverb.

• Leonard McCoy changed the title to Price Increases on New Gibson Guitars Across the Board

Iā€™m seeing on the new acoustic Gibson product listings on the Gibson website that it says they have a 2 years playability warrantee for the first time owner. Ā  Or, at least that is what I thought I saw. Ā  Prior to yesterday or the day before when I looked on the website, I thought new Gibsons had a lifetime to the first time owner. Ā When did that change for new models? Ā Am I correct that it changed or am I misreading the new, new guitar warrantee?

Ā 

QM aka ā€œJazzmanā€ Jeff

It seemed like it was not that long ago when they were going to make their big selling models more price friendly. J45s and SJ-200s dropped a bit. I guess that's a pandemic guitar market buying frenzy. Still hard to find some models.Ā  I'm glad I did my big guitar changes when I did.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You guys are not shopping at Wal Mart. Gibson is not rolling back prices and never will.

Right.. I doubt anyone else will eitherā€¦.. Inflation is hereā€¦

Edited by Larsongs

guitars aren't an essential commodity, and Gibson guitarsĀ  made in the USA by people with healthcare and out of pretty good quality components are even more of a luxury item. If after the last 18 months you are upset about price hikes on new gibson guitars, i dunno man go give money to a food bank or something

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Walmart isnā€™t rolling back prices either. Dollar Tree is raising their prices too.

Yes they are. The Amazon's price for The White Album on 180 gram vinyl with The Esher Demos is $90. I saw it at Wallyworld this weekend for $50.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes they are. The Amazon's price for The White Album on 180 gram vinyl with The Esher Demos is $90. I saw it at Wallyworld this weekend for $50.

What a deal. Blue light special? I think I paid $3.00 when it came out.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

What a deal. Blue light special? I think I paid $3.00 when it came out.

Inflation.Ā  I thought K-mart had the blue light special?

I'm sure someone in 1950 didn't pay $2850 for a J-45, but that's the going rate now.

$3 is a good price and if its mono you are a winner. I remember when I started buying albums in the mid-70's. I think at Tower Records a single LP was either $3.99 or $4.99. I still have my original Abbey Road. It's beat to hell.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

There's a shortage on material for creating vinyl, and only a few pressing plants left to meet the demand, and so one more thing where you order something and receive it a few years later. The weird thing about records is that it really wouldnt be a problem if people defaulted to buying used... but instead decide to pay $25 for the seven millionth pressing of Rumours instead of getting a VG copy used for $10

Edited by cunningham26

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Inflation.Ā  I thought K-mart had the blue light special?

I'm sure someone in 1950 didn't pay $2850 for a J-45, but that's the going rate now.

$3 is a good price and if its mono you are a winner. I remember when I started buying albums in the mid-70's. I think at Tower Records a single LP was either $3.99 or $4.99. I still have my original Abbey Road. It's beat to hell.Ā 

Ā 

Had a lady friend in the 70ā€™s who used her student loan to buy a J-200 for $500.

I remember thinking, (damn, thatā€™s a lot of money)

7 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

There's a shortage on material for creating vinyl, and only a few pressing plants left to meet the demand, and so one more thing where you order something and receive it a few years later. The weird thing about records is that it really wouldnt be a problem if people defaulted to buying used... but instead decide to pay $25 for the seven millionth pressing of Rumours instead of getting a VG copy used for $10

Same with wood ā€¦ And why Gibson is using Walnut to make their most affordable models (itā€™s a North American wood so no import costs).Mahogany has gone up and thereā€™s a lot less of it than 50,60,80 years ago.

Ā 

The new generationā€™s mahogany will be walnut and in my book thatā€™s a good thing ā€¦ Hog Ā J 45ā€™s and Hummingbirds will be a luxury .

Ā 

Ā 

JC

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Prices on Used have gone way up too.. Some are more than New! Itā€™s crazy!Ā 

When price is no object it doesn't matter, but when price is a major factor, then one must shop patiently, carefully, and often, be willing to make compromises.

I got a very nice used J-45 for about half of the going price because it has a repaired broken headstock. And my Guild GAD jf-30 jumbo was similarly priced because of top soundboard cracks.

In both cases, I researched the flaws, their effect on sound quality, playability, and repair costs before deciding that the two instruments were bargains.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might just find, you get what you need.

RBSinTo

5 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

When price is no object it doesn't matter, but when price is a major factor, then one must shop patiently, carefully, and often, be willing to make compromises.

I got a very nice used J-45 for about half of the going price because it has a repaired broken headstock. And my Guild GAD jf-30 jumbo was similarly priced because of top soundboard cracks.

In both cases, I researched the flaws, their effect on sound quality, playability, and repair costs before deciding that the two instruments were bargains.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might just find, you get what you need.

RBSinTo

I grew up poor not getting what I wanted. I was determined to change that. Now I can get pretty much anything I want but the trip getting to this stage has taught me many things. One being discipline. I donā€™t go crazy but once in a while when I do buy a Guitar, I get what I want. But, I do my due diligence.. As far as the Gear & the Dealā€¦

Currently, this is a great time to Sellā€¦

Edited by Larsongs

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I grew up poor not getting what I wanted. I was determined to change that. Now I can get pretty much anything I want but the trip getting to this stage has taught me many things. One being discipline. I donā€™t go crazy but once in a while when I do buy a Guitar, I get what I want. But, I do my due diligence.. As far as the Gear & the Dealā€¦

Currently, this is a great time to Sellā€¦

Well said. I'm with you on this topic. Add to it sacrifices on other fronts.Ā  I don't go overboard on other things so that I can afford to do this. Part of that strategy is to approach other things in life the way RBSinTo approaches his guitar strategy. One way or another, functional quality is a large part of any of it.

16 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

I go to, and have been going to used record stores for the past few decades. I would love to find an original Nick Drake - Pink Moon, Bryter Layter, or Five Leaves Left on vinyl, but good luck finding one used for $10 or even finding a used copy at all.Ā 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper