Gibson Brands Forums

Price Increases on New Gibson Guitars Across the Board

Leonard McCoy

15 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Prices on Used have gone way up too.. Some are more than New! It’s crazy! 

They have, and just like something new that is outrageously priced, I just pass it by.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Currently, this is a great time to Sell…

It can be. I had a guitar for sale on Reverb last month for about the whole month and it was at a great price and all I got was people low balling me, and I didn't even give them the option to make an offer . I'm selling it not giving it away.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It can be. I had a guitar for sale on Reverb last month for about the whole month and it was at a great price and all I got was people low balling me, and I didn't even give them the option to make an offer . I'm selling it not giving it away.

Reverbs higher Fees & higher Shipping costs enter it for sure…

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

It's like no place seems to be a good place these days, the shines been beaten out of all of them.

Because it's run by a bunch of SF hippies, the only outlet that isnt profit-driven, growth-focused, "going to be the amazon of..." aspiring marketplace killing their users by 1000 cuts is craigslist. it's practically a utility, and when it hits, it hits. got both my Gibsons from there, both screaming deals.

49 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

Because it's run by a bunch of SF hippies, the only outlet that isnt profit-driven, growth-focused, "going to be the amazon of..." aspiring marketplace killing their users by 1000 cuts is craigslist. it's practically a utility, and when it hits, it hits. got both my Gibsons from there, both screaming deals.

One good thing about CL is you get to actually see, touch, hear, and smell it before you walk away with it.

One bad thing  about CL is you have no clue what nut-job is going to show up for the transaction.

I grew up in the SF Bay area and I didn't see that many Hippies, except at Grateful Dead shows.

Those companies are run by tech nerds who watch Marvel and DC comic book movies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

I think you're right..   

Ebay is devouring itself these last few years with imposing restrictions fees and stuff that hurts the seller. 

Reverb will wind up the same way.

but CL does have it's own set of issues.  The lesser of three evils.

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

One good thing about CL is you get to actually see, touch, hear, and smell it before you walk away with it.

One bad thing  about CL is you have no clue what nut-job is going to show up for the transaction.

I grew up in the SF Bay area and I didn't see that many Hippies, except at Grateful Dead shows and I don't think most of them have 2 brain cells left or have the mental capacity to actually start a business.

I've had a few buyers who were pretty intent on low balling me to death,  I held my ground.   No nut cases..

In the end they wanted what I was selling, so we came to agreements, and everyone was happy.

There's an annoying trend on CL around here these days. Low ballers using mean spirited, hateful messages as part of their low ball offers. Mostly guitars or amps. At the end of an email might be a sarcastic offer to the extent of, "I'll tell you what. I'll give you $450 cash because you f****d it up so bad and you're probably a cheating liar" on an item listed and sold for $1k or something. Sometimes that same day would be another offer sans nasty message for $650 or whatever. Same person or not? Who knows?

I've heard about it elsewhere, too. I can't imagine someone would fall for it, but enough must. Someday, one of them is going to tick off the wrong person. I've actually had a few other sellers of like items reply to mine asking if I had a note from some nut job..... sure enough, compare notes and it's the same jerk.

20 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

There's an annoying trend on CL around here these days. Low ballers using mean spirited, hateful messages as part of their low ball offers. Mostly guitars or amps. At the end of an email might be a sarcastic offer to the extent of, "I'll tell you what. I'll give you $450 cash because you f****d it up so bad and you're probably a cheating liar" on an item listed and sold for $1k or something. Sometimes that same day would be another offer sans nasty message for $650 or whatever. Same person or not? Who knows?

I've heard about it elsewhere, too. I can't imagine someone would fall for it, but enough must. Someday, one of them is going to tick off the wrong person. I've actually had a few other sellers of like items reply to mine asking if I had a note from some nut job..... sure enough, compare notes and it's the same jerk.

it's really incredible how far some grammar and a good attitude can get you with someone just trying to sell their stuff. The other side of the coin of what you describe are these old timers (probably like sgt pepper) that just respond to your email saying "call me on the phone 6-8am" and refuse to do anything digitally. I'd rather deal with someone that's a jerk that replies quickly by email than have to talk to someone on the phone

On 10/2/2021 at 6:29 PM, jedzep said:

Yep, and higher shipping prices have kicked in.

I just trimmed my herd by three, apparently with lucky timing, as two went across the country. An unpredictable side-effect...I'm playing fewer guitars a lot more. I think I've fine-tuned what suits my style and songs I dig playing. Time to lay low for a while, though it's a buyers market on Reverb.

Am i reading this right ? You think it`s a buyers market on Reverb ? Not ...it`s a sellers market ...prices for used Gibson`s on Reverb have gone through the roof in the last 2 years .

18 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

it's really incredible how far some grammar and a good attitude can get you with someone just trying to sell their stuff. The other side of the coin of what you describe are these old timers (probably like sgt pepper) that just respond to your email saying "call me on the phone 6-8am" and refuse to do anything digitally. I'd rather deal with someone that's a jerk that replies quickly by email than have to talk to someone on the phone

When I sell my gear it is listed with everything right and wrong with it. Usually the only thing that is wrong is surface scratches or a ding or two, and I always upload photo's of the guitar and any issues to the best of my ability. I haven't sold anything on CL for about 10 years. I've bought and sold a bunch of guitars on Reverb and Flea Bay. I may sell one more axe and buy one but I do not need any more guitars. 7 is enough for me and I could trim it down to 4 if needed.

And I only want you to call me between 7:15 pm and 7:20 pm.

It is not a buyers marker right now. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

In the past two years I've sold on CL, FB, UMGF, Reverb, Elderly's and EBay. These are just based on my experiences.

CL - anything over 1K will be a hard sell. be sure to stay local - do not ship, too many scammers. Not much foot traffic. Although no fees, you usually have to lower the price to sell the higher dollar items.

FB - have sold a couple on it but be sure to stay local - do not ship, too many scammers. Not much foot traffic. Although no fees, you usually have to lower the price to sell the higher dollar items.

UMGF - I've tried a couple times with no luck.

Reverb - as Sarge mentioned, fees are higher than when CME owned it. Regardless of what they advertise you'll wind up at about 10% fee. Decent exposure. Shipping and insurance slightly high. No cap.

Elderly's - High traffic, quick sale, 25% commission. No cap.

EBay - High traffic. More bargain hunters than Elderly's and Reverb. Have to watch how you list it to avoid extra fees. Best shipping fees. Will wind up at about 7% fee but they do have a cap.

On items around or less than 1K I try CL & FB for a couple weeks first. Sometimes I list the higher items. I have sold a $1500 and a $2400 guitar on these sites.

EBay is my main platform. If it doesn't move I'll do Reverb. I've only went to Elderly's once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Glass of 🍷 in your hand ~ cheers and welcome ashore

But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.

And cheers to you, my friend, even if those words were written by a couple of guys in a blues cover band.

12 minutes ago, j45nick said:

And cheers to you, my friend, even if those words were written by a couple of guys in a blues cover band.

From about 1963 to 1970 The Beatles lead and everyone else followed. Didn’t Paul and John write and give The Stones their first hit? 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Didn’t Paul and John write and give The Stones their first hit? 

What song are you referencing here?  

Certainly most of the songs on the Stones' first albums were covers of  US blues and R&B songs. For many of us, it was the first time we had heard those songs, and we went back to the original artists based on what we heard from the Stones. 

I was just a teenager when the Stones and Beatles hit. What a change they made to my taste in popular music!

The Stones' first US  and UK #1 song was "Satisfaction" in 1965. That is a Jagger/Richards composition. Reviewing the tracks on the Stones first four albums, I don't see anything credited to John/Paul.

Remember that the Beatles, too, did covers or songs written by others on their first albums. So did Dylan.

The Beatles and Stones are two very different bands. I love both of them.

27 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I Wanna Be Your Man
Maybe it wasn't a hit, but a single . . . but The Glimmer Twins didn't write it. Released Nov. 1st - 1963.

"I Wanna Be Your Man" is a Lennon–McCartney-penned song recorded and released as a single by the Rolling Stones, and then recorded by the Beatles.
Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Certainly most of the songs on the Stones' first albums were covers of  US blues and R&B songs. For many of us, it was the first time we had heard those songs, and we went back to the original artists based on what we heard from the Stones. 

I was just a teenager when the Stones and Beatles hit. What a change they made to my taste in popular music!

The Stones' first US  and UK #1 song was "Satisfaction" in 1965. That is a Jagger/Richards composition. Reviewing the tracks on the Stones first four albums, I don't see anything credited to John/Paul.

Remember that the Beatles, too, did covers or songs written by others on their first albums. So did Dylan.

The Beatles and Stones are two very different bands. I love both of them.

"I wanna be your man", or something like that. Not their first hit. The first was a Chuck berry song. It was a song or two afterwards. It absolutely does not matter.

He beat me to it. Regardless, how it matters to some guys having fun with some 'Stones song lyrics only illustrates a deficiency within my abilities to think on such complex levels of intellect.

I notice the new Inspired By Gibson Hummingbird has gone up on Sweetwater by about $50.00 before it has even arrived in America for people to buy. Not a good thing for Gibson, or those who were waiting to get it at the then $799.00  ...now $849 before it even arrives in stock. 

13 hours ago, j45nick said:

For those who don't get the 'blues cover comment', here's Jagger's response to McCartneys recent remark about Stones bein' basically just that. 

Hold your hand out you silly Paul
See what you've doneeeee
When you find yourself in the. .