Gibson Brands Forums

New Project

nid2007

I've talked about this over at the UMGF Vintage forum, but have neglected my Gibson brothers and sisters. I purchased what has to be one of the ugliest mid-40's J-45's ever. Here it is:

Took it to a luthier the other day and he is going to bring it back to life. Needs 3 new braces, the fix of a HUGE crack on the top side, and of course removal of he pickguard. It has a great neck and should be great player-which is all I am looking for.

j-45.jpg

j-452.jpg

I think that's a great looking old timer! When you say, " and of course removal of the pickguard," it sounds as if that's a given. Do you intend to put a new pickguard on, is that one damaged, curling up? Also, was the belly-down bridge common for that time as opposed to the belly-up used now? Just curious. Also, have you noticed the price of a J-45, standard, 'hog lately. I believe they went up about $400 in the blink of an eye. Anyway, I like your new guitar and hope it will sound great when it's repaired.

That's exciting! Did he give you an estimate on how long before you'd have it back? Will be anxiously awaiting for progress reports. Btw' date=' where did you find it?[/quote']

I found it here: http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1079178053.html. They let me have it for $1600--which is far from the steal it might seem to be. Huge crack on the top side, missing braces, replacement tuners and bridge, and light black spray paint all over. But it has a great neck, and I fully expect it to be a great player.

Now really--- how can you say that guitar is ugly? Looks beautiful to me!

So you've verified the neck is slimmer than the other '46 you had? Has this neck been modified-- sanded down, perhaps - or do you figure it was simply 'made that way' ? What about this neck is different- is it less bulky, or is it narrower at the nut?

And back before computers cut guitar necks, how did companies keep neck profiles reasonably consistent? Did they use templates? As a complete non-woodworking guy, I have no idea.

Now really--- how can you say that guitar is ugly? Looks beautiful to me!

So you've verified the neck is slimmer than the other '46 you had? Has this neck been modified-- sanded down' date=' perhaps - or do you figure it was simply 'made that way' ? What about this neck is different- is it less bulky, or is it narrower at the nut?

And back before computers cut guitar necks, how [i']did [/i]companies keep neck profiles reasonably consistent? Did they use templates? As a complete non-woodworking guy, I have no idea.

Hoss,

that neck on yours is the biggets I've played yet--and that is with the almost completely worn finish. I think this one is the original neck--but don't know for sure. I don't think it is narrower at the nut-but possible. It has the same rounded neck shape (D or C ??), just not quite as bulky--which is why I'd bet it is not shaved down. Arguably, it was just a strange period for Gibson. My LG-2 has a huge bat of a neck, but I've played banner LG-2's that were nowhere near as big. With the black spray paint finish that it on this guitar, it feels kind of like some of the lower cost electrics coming out of Gibson now, like the Melody Maker, and SG and LP Specials.

Do you intend to put a new pickguard on' date=' is that one damaged, curling up? Also, was the belly-down bridge common for that time as opposed to the belly-up used now? [/quote']

The pisckguard is on there solidly. Some kind of white linoleum which was then painted black. I'm not going to mess with the overspray for now, but I can't live with the pickguard. I'll get a Greven or something appropriate. That bridge is unoriginal--these guitars should have a long rectangular bridge I believe.

Here's the bridge that Mark Tossman made for my/your Old'46 J45. Dark dark dark brazilian. (and Neil-- notice the break angle vs original!)

46j45bridge.jpg

My understanding is that the 'belly' bridge started showing up in '46. Given that someone put that modified belly on your latest old guitar, it's possible that they were replacing an original that was also a belly-type.

Man, I need to dust a little more often.

Archived