Gibson Brands Forums

Curfew Blues _ J50

BluesKing777

Thanks JZ!

We will take smooth, clean and sexy anytime!

The big bug virus exploded here again a few months back, after we all thought we got rid of it and we have been in lockdown and curfew since. So from having the whole suburb almost to myself during the week, every house in the area is full and jumping. Very noisy.

But I had a rare quiet moment earlier after a practice, and pressed record for the track above...not a lot of thought, just played it.

BluesKing777.

Good playing as always.  Often the best comes without a lot of preparation and instead just playing what you feel in the moment.

A little curious about the curfew.  Does the virus get stronger after 9:00 PM and thus more easily transferred from one to another?  Doesn't seem logical.  Wear a mask, stay distanced from one another, wash hands often etc. etc. but what difference does it make what time it is?

22 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Good playing as always.  Often the best comes without a lot of preparation and instead just playing what you feel in the moment.

A little curious about the curfew.  Does the virus get stronger after 9:00 PM and thus more easily transferred from one to another?  Doesn't seem logical.  Wear a mask, stay distanced from one another, wash hands often etc. etc. but what difference does it make what time it is?

yes,, those lil covid buggers get tired, and need to go nunnie beds by 9:30...   don't you follow the science???  !LOL!

nice stuff as usual BK...  you certainly got DA BLUES down kiddo.

Thanks Twang Gang and Kidblast!

Yes, I was practicing with no intention of recording and then.......I did.  Unrehearsed and in the moment.

J50 is the 2002 I picked up at a pawn shop 18 months or so back and had revived! Someone did a relic job, maybe, or mistreated it badly, but ...it works good now!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

7 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

... Often the best comes without a lot of preparation and instead just playing what you feel in the moment. ...

Sigh. Embrace the art. Avoid commenting on the artist's preparation, please.

Good art is good art. This is good art.

• 2 weeks later...

Curfew is cancelled and we can go certain places but not too far......No more 9pm to be home by.

I will be taking the coast road for a spin at approximately 10 pm! Nice weather would be good, but I don’t care about the possible thunderstorm, going anyway. 😬

First live gig tickets with all the local bands sold out in seconds.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Have fun, brutha! Me, I'm hoping they lock us down again this winter, so I can go back into my 'Walden Pond-ish' seclusion. I have a big renovation job up near the north end of Otsego Lake, which I'll milk for the entire winter, and only travel/work on sunny days to keep my fret hand usable.

This will eventually freeze over, and be dotted with ice-fishing shacks.

3CwBFLj.jpg

On 10/7/2021 at 12:13 AM, BluesKing777 said:

Some acoustic blues played on my J50 - I called it Curfew Blues because.....we are still under 9pm Covid Curfew!

BluesKing777.

Now I know why you're called "Blues King"!

That was simply  wonderful!

I think you showed us this guitar before...but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Thanks Rob!

2002 J50 from a pawn shop I bought a couple of years ago, that my luthier brought back to playability for me...someone either mistreated it or tried to relic it...but it got a tweak and a twist and new bone nut and saddle plus an Anthem pickup.

XN9FSwMh.jpg

w4TMisjh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks Rob!

2002 J50 from a pawn shop I bought a couple of years ago, that my luthier brought back to playability for me...someone either mistreated it or tried to relic it...but it got a tweak and a twist and new bone nut and saddle plus an Anthem pickup.

XN9FSwMh.jpg

w4TMisjh.jpg

BluesKing777.

It’s beautiful….a much played old friend! 

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

It’s beautiful….a much played old friend! 

It is like some old leather boots repaired!

Previous owner may have been more concerned with making it look old, including the tea soaked nut and saddle, except it played horribly! The nut was just all wrong, saddle leaning over..... Now, new bone! Setup! (couple of years back). Make it easier on myself.

BluesKing777.

14 hours ago, jedzep said:

Have fun, brutha! Me, I'm hoping they lock us down again this winter, so I can go back into my 'Walden Pond-ish' seclusion. I have a big renovation job up near the north end of Otsego Lake, which I'll milk for the entire winter, and only travel/work on sunny days to keep my fret hand usable.

This will eventually freeze over, and be dotted with ice-fishing shacks.

3CwBFLj.jpg

Looks nice now........

BluesKing777.