Gibson Brands Forums

replacement bridge for Epiphone FT-130 Cabellaro

marc sawyer

I have a 1972 Epiphone FT-130 Cabellaro acousltic (I bought when I was 12, my first guitar).  The adjustable bridge as a significant crack and needs to be replaced., and intonation is going out. I have a really nice Taylor, but I want to restore my old Epiphone, both for sentimental reasons, and I also love it's size for sitting on the sofa.   What options do I have?  Can I get a replacement adjustable bridge?  I don't really care if its original.  Would I be better to get a replacement non-adjustable bridge, bone saddle, bone nut?  This guitar is still in fine shape, neck needs and ajustment and a new bridge. looing for best option.  I actually sounds good for a concert size guitar.  I am wondering if a non-adjustable bridge would improve sensitivity and tone?

All help appreciated

On 10/7/2021 at 9:36 PM, marc sawyer said:

I have a 1972 Epiphone FT-130 Cabellaro acousltic (I bought when I was 12, my first guitar).  The adjustable bridge as a significant crack and needs to be replaced., and intonation is going out. I have a really nice Taylor, but I want to restore my old Epiphone, both for sentimental reasons, and I also love it's size for sitting on the sofa.   What options do I have?  Can I get a replacement adjustable bridge?  I don't really care if its original.  Would I be better to get a replacement non-adjustable bridge, bone saddle, bone nut?  This guitar is still in fine shape, neck needs and ajustment and a new bridge. looing for best option.  I actually sounds good for a concert size guitar.  I am wondering if a non-adjustable bridge would improve sensitivity and tone?

All help appreciated

If wonder if your guitar has a lifetime warranty if you or your parents purchased it new and someone filed its new guitar warranty info with Gibson/Epiphone on your behalf.  And, if so, if Gibson/Epiphone has a record of it.  I suggest contacting Epiphone customer service in Nashville.   In 1972 Epiphone was outsourcing its guitar manufacturing to Japan while its headquarters was still in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  I  not familiar with what their warrantee was at that time nor how their record keeping transferred when Epiphone headquarters moved to Nashville, but its worth a try for you to try with nothing to lose by calling Epiphone customer service in Nashville.

Epiphone’s parent company, Gibson still makes some Gibson guitars with adjustable bridges.  I wonder if you can get Gibson Epiphone to repair your guitar with one of those replacement adjustable bridges used on Gibsons either under a new guitar warrantee or if not, for a fee with an Epiphone authorized repair person or center.  Might cost a bit, but if you really want it repaired, maybe worth looking it.

Keep us posted what occurs if you contact Epiphone customer service in Nashville, TN.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

wow never thought of calling epiphone/gibson.  I will look into it.  It really is a sweet guitar, or at least was.  Not that that the action has drifted high and the intonation is a bit off it does not get played as much.  If brought back to good condition it would be really nice to have.  I will look into this.

Thanks

Warranty or not, don't bother with the adjustable bridge.

The Japanese adjustable bridges were not made to the same spec as the Kalamazoo-made adjustable bridges nor modern Bozeman adjustable bridges. The adjustment bolts, which go completely through the top of the guitar, are not going to be in the same position, which requires filling and drilling of new holes. That's not going to have a positive impact on the sound of the guitar. Most people who own an adjustable bridge, myself included, are happy to replace it with a fixed bridge anyway.

called gibson customer support service.  Since I don't have the original receipt, no dice.  they have no record.  When I cut laws to save $100 when I was 12 years old (50 years ago) I did not think to keep the receipt!.

I will have to look into this on my own.  This guitar is worth saving, at least to me.

How much might it cost to have a new bridge fitted by a luthier?

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago (50!) I had a Kalamazoo Epiphone FT-110 with an adjustable bridge that had lousy tone - as I recall it sounded dead, even with new strings. I took it to a really good luthier who fabricated an insert to replace the adjustable bridge, using wood (rosewood?) that matched the bridge, with a bone saddle, and the guitar suddenly sounded much, much better. His theory was that the insert (tightly fitted and securely glued) transmitted the string vibrations to the top much more efficiently than the steel adjustment screws that raised and lowered the original adjustable bridge.

If you can find the right luthier willing to do the job it might be an option, if the crack in the bridge can be clamped/glued, especially since he or she will set up the guitar once the insert is installed. He or she could also address the neck problem. That  might be easy to fix since (if I recall correctly) your guitar has a bolt-on neck.

In general though I agree with the other posters. If you replace the bridge, nonadjustable is the way to go.