Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson es339 studio is one of the best !

tom brown

I have owned this Gibson for a few years but recently bought a roland amp  and put dr blues 10s on it discovered that this guitar has an amazing tone clean and you can get some really gritty overdrive out of it .

I think the only difference between the studio  339 and the regular Gibson Es 339 is that the studio does not have a binding around the body. Correct me if i am mistaken.

This particular guitar has the Rosewood fretboard and it also has the Gibson 57 pick ups in it as verified by Gibson . There were certain studio versions that were sold that had the burstbuckers and also had the maple baked fretboard .  I happen to find those particular pick ups a little bit bright when you’re playing  Clean . And that baked maple adds treble like crazy.

These guitars are getting difficult to find I don’t see any on the secondary market .

cheers

Edited by tom brown

12 hours ago, tom brown said:

I think the only difference between the studio  339 and the regular Gibson Es 339 is that the studio does not have a binding around the body. Correct me if i am mistaken.

Mistaken. Its black binding. If you have the burst you'll likely not see it. Here it is on this close up of mine

eKJ2olg.jpg

This particular guitar has the Rosewood fretboard and it also has the Gibson 57 pick ups in it as verified by Gibson . There were certain studio versions that were sold that had the burstbuckers and also had the maple baked fretboard .  I happen to find those particular pick ups a little bit bright when you’re playing  Clean . And that baked maple adds treble like crazy.

Well mine has 57 Classics and baked (torrified) maple board. The fingerboard is one of the main reasons I went with this model, as I dont much like rosewood boards (so far I've stuck to my resolve never to pay more than £1000 for a rosewood fingerboard guitar). 

Treble like crazy? I spent 45-50 minutes playing some regular 339s (rosewood on mahogany) in Andertons while they fetched the Studio from thier warehouse. I expected to hear a more trebly sound because the Studio neck is also maple (another reason I chose it). Now, I thought I could hear a tad more treble on the Studio, but I honestly could not be sure. So comparing like for like,  if there is a difference, its minimal IME. 

I have a 339 Studio that I keep out next to my computer desk that I can grab whenever I feel the need to play something.  It's a 2015 that only has the 1 volume and 1 tone control.  Doesn't matter to me because I play it unplugged most of the time.

20 hours ago, Bronx said:

I have a 339 Studio that I keep out next to my computer desk that I can grab whenever I feel the need to play something.  It's a 2015 that only has the 1 volume and 1 tone control.  Doesn't matter to me because I play it unplugged most of the time.

Mine is the same. It matters to me because I prefer just one master volume & tone (Sparky does too). I leave all my controls on 10 and never touch them anyway. Almost the same with the amps. The fine tuning on the signal processor settings take care of everthing I need including volume adjustment. 

Evans you right ! 

I do have a burst and there is a binding but very hard to see.  Now i am wondering what is different from the stock es 339.

i have to say i really like this neck on this guitar.

I tried to upload pictures but I’m having technical difficulties on the iPhone .

Edited by tom brown