Gibson Brands Forums

Need some help Gibson people. Just purchased a sj 200 acoustic. I’m trying to figure out if it’s authentic. The thing that really confuses me is the truss rod cover in head stock there is nothing under it nether adjustment screw is in the sound hole. Is t

Rick enos

10 minutes ago, J45Mike said:

No man, it is not “no harm no foul”… counterfeit guitars dilute the Gibson brand. Once a counterfeit guitar passes through US Custom’s and is on the market , the guitar could be potentially sold off as “real” down the line. If the guitar was caught at customs, it would have been seized 100% of the time because it is an illegal counterfeit. That’s the facts.  

Gibson spends a considerable amount of time and money to counteract this problem, as does other manufacturers of  luxury goods as well as the US Government to stop these Chinese counterfeiters from destroying the brand. Not only guitars, but other high end products such as Rolex watches, Armani Clothing .. Versace, Coach, Omega etc.etc… 

If the guitar was in the style of a Gibson , without the Gibson name on the headstock, then it would be “no harm no foul”

the point is,  these things are getting into the country, and they are getting bought and sold daily.

the point really is, disclosure.   we can argue the virtues of this all day and night. 

it is what it is.

if the manufactures don't care enough to put a stop to it, it will just continue.

9 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I don't like the idea either, and  I wouldn't buy one.  The problem I have with this is when someone dupes someone into believing they bought the real deal when they didn't.

thing is you can order a Chibson and have it shipped right to your door in a Styrofoam shipping container.. 

no one is going to stop that purchase or delivery.   THAT is the reality of this.  

You are completely missing the point, manufactures and government’s alike are trying to stop this. Will the fakes continue to get through… yes… 

Would you put your name and address on an order from a seller , selling counterfeit goods, hoping it will get through customs.. potentially opening yourself up to legal action?? What is the reality of THAT situation???

Edited by J45Mike

Just now, J45Mike said:

You are completely missing the point, manufactures and government’s alike are trying to stop this. Will the fakes continue to get through… yes… 

Would you put your name and address on an order from a seller , selling counterfeit good hoping it will get through customs.. potentially opening yourself up to legal action?? What is the reality of THAT situation???

I'm not missing the point,,  stop lecturing..  really -- 

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

I wish it were so, but it doesn't seem to be reality,,  these counterfeits are off'd on Ebay all the time.   Most of them MUCH better in visuals than this one.

but, it appears that  not a one gets "confiscated"...  

And what about us ? Instead of submitting the OP https://www.gibson.com/Support/Report-Counterfeits i have the feeling we prefer to be sorry for him and arose him with tips and wish him enjoy this joke guitar lol. Remember it’s a Gibson website here

i think we’d rather submit this post

15 minutes ago, paul300 said:

And what about us ? Instead of submitting the OP https://www.gibson.com/Support/Report-Counterfeits i have the feeling we prefer to be sorry for him and arose him with tips and wish him enjoy this joke guitar lol. Remember it’s a Gibson website here

i think we’d rather submit this post

tell ya what,,

go count the threads here on fakes,,

go on, give it a shot...

if you collect them all and send to gibson customer support, don't hold your breath waiting for any one there to give sh-t

there's plenty of places to learn about spotting these, if people too careless or lazy to confirm a purchase,, that's on them.

• Thanks 1

Lighten up guys - the OP asked if his guitar was a fake and the forum responded and confirmed - there's nothing to be gained from coming down hard on him - let's adopt a more friendly attitude in the hope that despite owning a non-genuine guitar that a positive Gibson forum experience will inspire him towards a real, genuine Gibson guitar.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Lighten up guys - the OP asked if his guitar was a fake and the forum responded and confirmed - there's nothing to be gained from coming down hard on him - let's adopt a more friendly attitude in the hope that despite owning a non-genuine guitar that a positive Gibson forum experience will inspire him towards a real, genuine Gibson guitar.

Welcome to the new world order. I no likey either.

• Like 1