Gibson Brands Forums

Fake SJ

paul300

Hello I came across a reasonable prized southern jumbo here in France today. Il suspicious because I cannot lookup the serial number that’s on the tag of the sound hole. It says no match found 

Would be keen to know if anybody experienced a fake on a modern SJ or similar 

Here’s the ad (in French)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/2049395455.htm

Best wishes 

6AF51F60-2AC2-4279-AABF-D9F7BBB28AF0.jpeg

8A7750D0-272B-4FC1-9376-2794EBAB44AF.jpeg

I don’t know .. but when you look the number up in https://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx you usually get a match but this one shows “Serial number unrecognized, please verify that the serial number is correct. If it is still not recognized you can try one of the popular guitar forums and see if the experts there can help. 

that’s why I’m suspicious , also the prize seems a bit low to me 

17 hours ago, olie said:

Why are you suspicious? The serial number indicates it was made in 2017, that's all.

Hi it’s me the mean guys crony. Gibson changed its Serial Number ID in 2014 yet again. The year is now the first two numbers. And even a Martin guy like me knows that pick guard is wrong.

Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.
The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).

The pattern is as follows:
YYRRRRRRR
YY is the model year
RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

Not sure is Montana is using the same serial number scheme  or still using the old one.

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hi it’s me the mean guys crony. Gibson changed its Serial Number ID in 2014 yet again. The year is now the first two numbers. And even a Martin guy like me knows that pick guard is wrong.

Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.
The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).

The pattern is as follows:
YYRRRRRRR
YY is the model year
RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

Not sure is Montana is using the same serial number scheme  or still using the old one.

Sarge,

That's for Gibson USA which is the electric guitar division. The acoustic still uses YDDDYRRR

1 hour ago, paul300 said:

Pick guard seems right to me though 

7C6FD068-77A4-4C64-BED0-85A51EC150FD.jpeg

doh. you’re right. ‘hard to see in the dark upper part of the burst, but yes, it looks like they’re putting the batwing pickguard  on the Southern Jumbo Original.

You said that the price seemed low to you- it could be a good deal, just make sure you have some kind of return policy if you’re not able to inspect the guitar in person.

Quick update here

i met the seller yesterday. The guitar plays and sounds really well and looks fantastic. Action and neck relief are a bit on the high side but man this guitar resonates very well.

i found another serial lookup website with a positive result so I should be fine to go

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-gibson_eng.php

many thanks for your comments

best paul 

8 hours ago, Jinder said:

It’s not a fake, that’s a genuine 2017 SJ. Enjoy it!

Thank you ! I picket her up today. sounds really sweet. Just tightened the truss rod a bit (quater turn) so the neck is almost straight and that lowered the action a tiny bit. I guess it's right now.
Anyway I'm super happy and thanks for your comments. Happy Friday from Paris