Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number absent

Richard 2208

Hello, I have a Les Paul Classic 1960 re-issue and I cannot find a serial number anywhere.  I'm pretty certain that it's a genuine Gibson. I knew it's previous owner and I also  know that it came from a reputable shop  . . closed for many years now. I would like to move the guitar on as it's not played often enough and should be because it's a beauty! Any ideas welcome.

I have uploaded a shot of the pots. They have 'Gibson' stamped into them as hopefully you can see.

Thanks, Richard

IMG_2595.jpg

Hi, well yes that is a beauty. I'm a fan of subtle bursts & natural grain.

I have read that volume and tone pots for "the 137xxxx date code for a rough estimate of when the guitar was made". I realise that doesn't get you much closer to finding a serial number but it narrows the search. Since you knew the original owner & the shop it was supplied form you may have some idea of the year?

Slim chance maybe; but when you have all the info you can gather, a call to Gibson might help? 

I can make out the remnant of the headstock serial number, beginning with 0175, (or 0145) but that's about it. 

Strange. 
Looks authentic to the similar models I see on Reverb, but those all have clearly legible serial numbers, and their serial numbers appear to have been painted on. 

Perhaps the original owner polished the paint off the back of the headstock?
 😬

Edited by sparquelito

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the pots again but seeing a number's tricky without removal. The varnish is over the number so no it's not been polished out. I'm pretty sure it's genuine. If you were faking it why go to the trouble of putting Gibson pots in and then not attending to something as obvious as the serial number. It definitely feels and plays like the real thing. It's a mystery.  I will try a call to Gibson if I can find a number . .  .good idea.

Thx, Richard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353632305851?hash=item525620c2bb:g:m7IAAOSw4e9hHi9S

This is obviously the very same guitar. I followed your suggestion about a strong light and think it reads 01 1588. Anyway, thank you all very much for clearing this up for me. I thought there war a problem with the number not being engraved  . . .apparently not. 

1 hour ago, The Guitar Guru said:

You guys are wrong

Well welcome to the forum Mr Guru, the people who you have called wrong have earned their credibility, so if you wish to point the wrong finger at anyone in here, you need to provide credible proof and start earning your reputation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Well welcome to the forum Mr Guru, the people who you have called wrong have earned their credibility, so if you wish to point the wrong finger at anyone in here, you need to provide credible proof and start earning your reputation.

Ya do gotta wonder about someone who calls all those other people "wrong" and doesn't elaborate on how. [confused]

Whitefang