Gibson Brands Forums

Pretty cool.........

Buc McMaster

I ran across a J55 with the stairstep headstock about five or six years  ago.  While I do not recall the particulars it had a price tag of around $9K.   Was I interested?  You betcha.  Was I about to lay out that kind of scratch on a guitar even if it was a good deal?  Not a prayer.

A refinished top is not a big deal on a player grade instrument, which this certainly is.  I called the guy with some questions and he seems straight up about it.  He will shoot some more photos for me, tune it down the half step I prefer and check it out.  I'm not sold but definitely curious.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:36 PM, Buc McMaster said:

. . .  quite unique

So was the Edsel

8 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

A refinished top is not a big deal on a player grade instrument, which this certainly is. 

That is a very expensive player's grade instrument. Looks to be in very good (for vintage) condition, otherwise. Hopefully, the person who is it's next keeper will hold on to it for a long while, as the model already has a smaller market appeal than other vintage Gibsons, on top of the smaller segment of those interested in a refin vintage guitar.