Gibson Brands Forums

Concerts

Sgt. Pepper

I was supposed to see King's X a year ago of course it was canned. Then we got tix to see them this month in NOLA. Yeah, it got cancelled again. So now I am going to Mobile on the 24th - 31st of October to visit my buddy and he just got tix in the 16th row for Kenny Wayne Shepard and Buddy Guy for the same night we were going to see King's X. We are seeing then in the Saenger Theater.  We are also going to see JJ Grey and Mofro.  We are see them at at place called The Soul Kitchen. 

I saw Tommy Emmanuel and Andy McKee last month and had tix in row 9.

I wanted to see The Stones once more but after watching some their current tour performances I think I’d rather remember them from back in the day…

I’m looking forward to getting back to doing live Gigs with a couple Bands I’ve played with for the past several years….. That’s more exciting to me right now…

Edited by Larsongs

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I wanted to see The Stones once more but after watching some their current tour performances I think I’d rather remember them from back in the day…

I’m looking forward to getting back to doing live Gigs with a couple Bands I’ve played with for the past several years….. That’s more exciting to me right now…

I saw The Stones once in ‘81. I’m not gonna say it was bad cause it was f-ing terrible. I never saw them again due to that show.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw The Stones once in ‘81. I’m not gonna say it was bad cause it was f-ing terrible. I never saw them again due to that show.

I agree I saw them in1978 on the Some Girls tour and they were awful,  I have had many chances to see them since but declined.  Unfortunately the Stones and Dylan both take my top prize for the worst show I have been to and that is right around 300. thing is I like their music.

2 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

I agree I saw them in1978 on the Some Girls tour and they were awful,  I have had many chances to see them since but declined.  Unfortunately the Stones and Dylan both take my top prize for the worst show I have been to and that is right around 300. thing is I like their music.

Yeah, but you know,  their's and Dylan's status as "icons"  means folks will flock to their shows in order to see THEM, and give them a pass on the music.   You know, like girls flocked to movie theaters to see an Elvis Presley movie, NOT because they thought it'd be great cinema.  But because Elvis was in it!   Just like we guys went to see them NOT because we thought Elvis movie soundtracks were great music(  Oy!)  but because of the hot CHICKS that they were full of.  [wink]

Whitefang

The stones are playing tonight here at Sofi stadium and I can get two 8th row center stage tickets for $100. I was tempted then looked at sigalert for traffic and it says 1 hr 45 min to drive there. It's 40 miles. I love the stones but covid, Charlie's death and traffic make me say I can't do it.

Sarg I know you love the stones, especially live.

12 hours ago, Tman said:

The stones are playing tonight here at Sofi stadium and I can get two 8th row center stage tickets for $100. I was tempted then looked at sigalert for traffic and it says 1 hr 45 min to drive there. It's 40 miles. I love the stones but covid, Charlie's death and traffic make me say I can't do it.

Sarg I know you love the stones, especially live.

I have never heard a GREAT live Stones album or recording. Get Your Ya Ya's Out was not to bad, but The Stones are the the worlds best Rolling Stones Tribute Band. Only The Glimmer Twins are the only remaining original members left. Bill Wyman walked away cause he knew it was way over. I can't believe next week, I saw them 40 years ago, and it was a day before my 15th birthday.

I love the Stones too and from '68 - '73 they were never better.

One guy in another thread said he won't buy the new Let It Be and give money to the Ringo and Macca Estates, yet people will still go see these geezers and 14 extra musicians on stage play really sloppy, and add to their bank accounts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

Although they continued to occasionally release good songs after Brian Jones left us, I think their music was consistently better when he was part of the mix. I don't know if Brian was a major contributor or if they just got burned out,

In this age of COVID variants, I'm neither going to gig indoors nor a crowded outdoor venue. I'm definitely not going to attend an indoor or crowded outdoor event either.

I've read too much about even mild cases causing brain, lung, heart and other organ damage. My brother-in-law doctor who is both world-famous among other doctors and on the front-line confirms this.

If I get lung damage, there goes my sax/flute/windsynth/vocal capacity. Plus I lost enough brain cells in the 60s and 70s, I don't need to lose any more. 😄

There is no Ctrl+Z or Cmd=Z on the event where you might get the bug.

I have no desire to see The Stones, but I wish I could have jammed with them back when they were at their peak.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Thanks 1

Y'know.....

Back in the early '70's,  I read an interview with Mick Jagger in which he stated the Stones might only be around and touring for another year or two( at that point).  saying in effect, "I can't see myself at forty and wiggling my bum singing 'Satisfaction'.  "    [wink]

But now, people are paying big bucks to see him do so at 78!  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

13 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Y'know.....

Back in the early '70's,  I read an interview with Mick Jagger in which he stated the Stones might only be around and touring for another year or two( at that point).  saying in effect, "I can't see myself at forty and wiggling my bum singing 'Satisfaction'.  "    [wink]

But now, people are paying big bucks to see him do so at 78!  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

And now The Stones are not playing Brown Sugar cause ya know . . . it has bad lyrics. Yes its about slavery and black p-ussy (its sung in 3rd person), but I don't think The Stoned invented slavery or had any . . . its just a song. Mick I'm sure had his share of Brown Sugar though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have never heard a GREAT live Stones album or recording. Get Your Ya Ya's Out was not to bad, but The Stones are the the worlds best Rolling Stones Tribute Band. Only The Glimmer Twins are the only remaining original members left. Bill Wyman walked away cause he knew it was way over. I can't believe next week, I saw them 40 years ago, and it was a day before my 15th birthday.

I love the Stones too and from '68 - '73 they were never better.

One guy in another thread said he won't buy the new Let It Be and give money to the Ringo and Macca Estates, yet people will still go see these geezers and 14 extra musicians on stage play really sloppy, and add to their bank accounts.

Keef has defied all odds. I'd go see him again. When I saw them in 1978 in New Orleans he started All Down The Line and it was so freakin great that I remember the opening riff to this day. Only other favorite live song is Midnight Rambler. He and Mick Taylor, fabulous.

• Like 1

Got a call yesterday from my wife's practice's accountant who said one of her clients has high end tickets to the Stones and if I waited until the last minute we could get them for a steep discount. Decided to brave the traffic and do it. They were great. Mick, Keith and Ron. Sound system in Sofi Stadium (5 billion dollar stadium) was unbelievable. 20 people in our private room with food and a bathroom. Went with my keyboard player BFF and his wife and wife's sister. I said going there that I wanted to hear all down the line, street fighting man and midnight rambler. They played all three and all the other songs you want to hear except brown sugar. I was hoping Mick would have said, screw it and play it.

WryOXtg.jpg

FNiytFJ.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tman said:

Got a call yesterday from my wife's practice's accountant who said one of her clients has high end tickets to the Stones and if I waited until the last minute we could get them for a steep discount. Decided to brave the traffic and do it. They were great. Mick, Keith and Ron. Sound system in Sofi Stadium (5 billion dollar stadium) was unbelievable. 20 people in our private room with food and a bathroom. Went with my keyboard player BFF and his wife and wife's sister. I said going there that I wanted to hear all down the line, street fighting man and midnight rambler. They played all three and all the other songs you want to hear except brown sugar. I was hoping Mick would have said, screw it and play it.

WryOXtg.jpg

FNiytFJ.jpg

Yeah, Keith said they played that song every night since the album came out, and  now The Bad Boys Of Rock And Roll cave in to not playing it due to the PC Police and Woke Generation on a 40 year old song. P-ussies. 

On a Stones note I saw them exactly 40 years ago to the day in SF.  It was on the Keith doesn't want to be around Mick Tour.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

Not having Bobby Keys alive any more might have had something to do with it.

The way I read it is they CHOSE not to play it and contrary to the "Manipulate Everyone Through Hate And Anger Press" * were not forced to do so.

(* We need to stop fighting among ourselves, while the real enemy, the oligarchy is laughing all the way to the bank - and that goes for both sides of the divide).

Notes ♫

16 hours ago, Tman said:

Exactly. Not much of an upside to doing it.

So if (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction offends me should The Stones stop playing it? 

Anyone remember the lyrics to the song Some Girls. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Confused 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:30 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

So if (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction offends me should The Stones stop playing it? 

I meant in today's climate but I agree completely. Some girls is also potentially offensive. 

Edited by Tman

7 hours ago, 'Scales said:

looks like a fun night out Philip - glad you braved the traffic (I would have too!)

It was really worth it. My friend and his wife and sister in law had never seen them so it was a bucket list thing. Who knows how long they'll be playing. His sister in law kept saying He's got so much energy and look at his little butt! Keith was energetic too and had a very strong voice on Before they make me run. Ron looked great so his treatment must have been excellent.

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh, and let's not forget the song titled "B!TCH".  [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang