Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Tailpiece setup help needed

Hi,

I got a question regarding SG tailpieces, I am trying to make guitar sound good in C# with 9-46 strings however I got no idea how to configure the tailpieces as there are few things to set: tune o matic Bridge  height and setup of the screws there and the standard bridge that holds the strings, my "store" configuration was taht the bridge holding the strings was just maximally close to the wood as possible, while the tune o matic one was nearly maximally up. Not sure how to determine the proper setup of these, not mentioning that tune o matic has these regulatory screws also and no idea whether I should leave them or not.

Any hints how to check what's the best setup for me, how to find it, or it's default to all no matter the tuning and strings?

• 2 weeks later...

You'll need thicker strings for C#, for one thing.

First, bear in mind that nuts are cut for the particular gauge strings the guitar came with. On some guitars, you can get away with switching back and forth and have no issues, but that's not always the case. Bridge saddles tend to be more forgiving. 

First thing you should determine what string gauge to use. I'd guess 11-52. Then Google for a string tension calculator - you change E-0.46 to C#-0.52, and so on, to calculate the total amount of tension on the neck. If it's more, you might need to tighten the truss rod a little. Less, loosen. Same or about the same, leave be. 

Adjust for the new string tension and replace the strings.

If you're fine with the string height, no need to mess with the bridge. 

Then you'll need to intonate. 

It sounds like you're new at this, so what I would suggest is take the guitar to a luthier for a setup of your choice, and have him walk you though the different steps. None of them are difficult, all of them intimidating at first, and better to spend fifty bucks AND learn how to do a set-up than mess something up, learn nothing and have to shell out hundreds in repairs. 

You can and should watch Youtube videos on each step, but it's worth the extra expense and the safety of knowing it'll be all right. Trust me. 

• Like 1