Gibson Brands Forums

New song from Neil Young and it's fantastic!

Lars68

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Sorry, but I saw that clip when it emerged and found it double depressing. 

I felt kind of sorry for Neil, who (besides admiring The Fabs) puts so much into his electric guitar playing and pleases so many people that way.

I felt sorry for George for not understanding Neil's 'ism' and cheap-chatting about it, , , at a Geldof-session for krists sake. . 

Here's a tremendous version of Cortez the Killer from the early 90s. It was recently recommend to me by the drummer himself. 

That is such a great song to get lost in when playing. Acoustic, electric - it doesn't matter. 

This is a great version you posted, too. Not sure I've seen a bad one.

I bet dollars to donuts that Neil Young had heard and gotten used to far classier comments dissing something about his unique styles and voicings. Still, to hear a legend say it like that must sting a little bit at the time.

• Like 1

Neil changed my life. I’m extremely surprised that George didn’t “get” Neil’s music. The intensity and sheer emotional bodyblow of NY’s lead playing is something which I’ve never heard the like of elsewhere. It doesn’t matter that it’s “one string stuff”, he is absolutely wrangling his soul out through his fingers, into the strings, out through the pickups and into the world when he plays.

There is a reason why Stephen Stills, another genius lead player, has spent so many years playing with Neil. 

I’m a huge Beatles fan and George’s legacy is beyond reproach, but that makes it all the harder to hear him trash-talking Neil. I wouldn’t dream of talking about another artist in that way. 

• Like 1

Lars, I really like this song.  My kind of music.   I can really identify with what he’s saying.  I like the somber and melancholy atmosphere.  Makes me think of Neil’s cover of Ian Tyson’s “Four Strong Winds.”  I like a pure sound like this.  No blazing guitar licks or loud accompaniment.  Just a real human sound.

26 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Makes me think of Neil’s cover of Ian Tyson’s “Four Strong Winds.” 

Remember that one from the late 70s. Always liked it - Young later said the original was on his early youth's juke-box and that he played it a lot then.                                                                                                                                                                                          It was on the Comes a Time LP, which I bought when it came. 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, Jinder said:

Neil changed my life. I’m extremely surprised that George didn’t “get” Neil’s music. The intensity and sheer emotional bodyblow of NY’s lead playing is something which I’ve never heard the like of elsewhere. It doesn’t matter that it’s “one string stuff”, he is absolutely wrangling his soul out through his fingers, into the strings, out through the pickups and into the world when he plays.

There is a reason why Stephen Stills, another genius lead player, has spent so many years playing with Neil. 

I’m a huge Beatles fan and George’s legacy is beyond reproach, but that makes it all the harder to hear him trash-talking Neil. I wouldn’t dream of talking about another artist in that way. 

Agreed. I loved Neil's performance on that track, and that whole gig.  He was so free, loose and alive with both his vocals and playing.  The greatest garage rocker of all time.  It's ironic hearing George and Eric snickered at Young that night because they were the most boring and stodgy people on that stage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, northcntryblues said:

Agreed. I loved Neil's performance on that track, and that whole gig.  He was so free, loose and alive with both his vocals and playing.  The greatest garage rocker of all time.  It's ironic hearing George and Eric snickered at Young that night because they were the most boring and stodgy people on that stage.

Everybody performs terrific - Clapton's solo may be a bit too immaculate, but his vocal is superb. Young's guitar in the final captures the whole essence of the song.

For readers who don't know what we're talking about - ENJOY

Think Dylan bloops in the chorus after Clapper.

13 hours ago, fretplay said:

I saw Neil Young in UK at the BBC he was fantastic and I've been a fan for many years but there's a time to 'get off the stage' for everyone and this is now for Neil.

I was, basement studio, BBC  Upper Regent Street.

Fantastic - it was an almost historic event. But only 30 minutes log, which leads to 2 Qs :

Did he play/take some of the songs more than once and was there a second artist that date ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Highly interested, especially in the first

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 9:29 PM, E-minor7 said:

Everybody performs terrific - Clapton's solo may be a bit too immaculate, but his vocal is superb. Young's guitar in the final captures the whole essence of the song.

For readers who don't know what we're talking about - ENJOY

Think Dylan bloops in the chorus after Clapper.

Everyone was really on for that one. The foundation of that performance, of course, was McGuinn's version for the Byrds, but it is amazing how such a disparate group of artists fit within the framework so nicely.

Neil Young was dialed in. His final solo was superb. He nailed it, and he knew it judging from the big grin on his face when he finished.

This was the best of the best honoring the best of the best of the best. Thanks for dredging that one up. Hadn't looked at it in years.

• Like 1