Gibson Brands Forums

And so it begins, again

sparquelito

On 10/18/2021 at 10:38 PM, tx-ogre said:

Not to worry.  This may have been the most over-the-top Christmas story I have, but it certainly wasn’t an isolated incident.  My family “put the fun back in dysfunctional.”  But like the old saying goes: What doesn’t kill you, only makes you stronger.  I was fortunate to have been born  with a sense of humor, so I was able to deal with adversity through humor, albeit oftentimes rather dark.  It has helped me to maintain my sanity through some trying times.  Marine Corps boot camp?  Nothing I can’t handle.  None of my drill instructors were bigger a$$holes than what I grew up around.  Yawn!  And in my civilian career, I worked assignments that nobody else wanted, but had to be worked by someone.  So guess who ended up with the assignment.    I actually adapted and in many ways, thrived because of the weird, disgusting and pathetic activities that I experienced growing up and now had regular exposure to.    I was in my element.  It actually made me better at what I did because the outrageous things I dealt with on the job were not that far moved from what I dealt with growing up.  It’s,all about “comfort zone.”  Been there.  Done that.  Got the T-Shirt.  Following one of the tenants of the Marine Corps: Improvise.  Adapt.  Overcome.  I am nothing special, just an average mope who deals with the hand he’s been dealt.  And it’s definitely been a wild and interesting ride.

For a lot of years early on, I was bitter and pissed off.   But that got me nowhere in the long run.  You learn to move on.  And I know for a fact, from personal and professional experience, that there are a lot of other people out there who have experienced far worse than I have.   It’s all relative.  And as hard as it can be at times, life goes on.

1st off, Thank you for your service.   I will never forget or never not appreciate what the men and woman in our armed services do and have done for this nation.   

I kind of get what you're saying, even tho the "place" where I grew up was really not like what you had to deal with. 

12 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Plus,  anyone who ever met my mother would have never suspected her of being a gunshot victim and that a bullet was the source of the problem.   

Not really the same, but your tale reminded me.

Back when my Mom was very young(this happened in '32 from what I recall of the story) A kid with a newfangled Daisy BB gun shot in my Mom's direction, the BB ricocheting  off a huge rock and going up one of her nostrils.  Got embedded in there, and being in rural Pennsylvania there was no doc nearby to give proper treatment.  And so it remained and never bothered my mom until one day, when getting an MRI in the early '90's, the tech rushed in and asked her when she got a gunshot wound in the head!  It took a while for her to remember the BB incident from SIXTY YEARS EARLIER,   but when finally relating it,  the tech rushed out of the room.  When he returned, my Mom asked why he left in such a hurry and where did he go?

He said he had to rush to a phone and call the police back to tell them they didn't have to come after all!  [laugh]  He thought the "wound" was more recent as the MRI image made the BB appear way larger than it really was.

Whitefang

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

The thing is - in America you have Thanksgiving too, so more $$$ has to be spent.

Of course.  And don't forget the bucks spent on Halloween candy, costumes and decorations.  And there's no Thanksgiving where you're from(wherever that is)?  what.  Nothing to be thankful for?  [wink]  Besides;  Typically(in most families I know of) everybody invited to the big feast is also invited to bring a dish to the table.  For instance;   My wife and I( and now just me) usually brings a green bean casserole.  The dinner's hostess usually does the turkey and others bring all else.  Less expense for everyone and more money for each to save for the insanity of "Black Friday" shopping.  THAT'S when the REAL money is spent!  [cool]

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

America runs on Consumerism.. And has for a long long long time. Every day is Sale Day for a Birthday, Anniversary or some kind of holiday.. I don’t get the anger against Christmas…. Unless……… no, I better not go there….

My Mom once quipped sarcastically;  "They oughta just have National Hallmark Day!"  [laugh]

Whitefang

Word fun is fine, but I find it's more fun if the person you're having that word fun with either doesn't get it or gets upset.  For example---

My usual answer back in the "day" when anyone asked me, "Can you drive a stick?"  Of course, referring to a "standard" shift.   To which I'd reply...

"Not as good as I can drive a car."  [wink]

Whitefang

On 11/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, Whitefang said:

And getting back to the OP and such, It's the day after Halloween, but the HALLMARK channel started showing their saccharine line-up of their "made-for-Hallmark"  Christmas movies a few weeks ago.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

actually they started that crap in July...................  ugh...

the wife loves em, so does her mom..   Believe me when I say... it's been brutal

on the bright side. it's the perfect excuse to grab a cold one, and head down to my studio room with a guitar or 4..

• Haha 1