Gibson Brands Forums

1964 ES-335 Reissue vs. ES-335 Figured

arftown

Hi all,

I am in the market for a 335. Right now I am looking at the ES-335 Figured and the 1964 ES-335 Reissue. I plan to buy the latest 2021 model.

I assume biggest difference in terms of sound will be caused by the pickups:

Custombucker Alnico III - 1964 ES-335 Reissue
Calibrated T-Type - ES-335 Figured 

My questions:

1. I assume the T-Type will be brighter vs. the Custombucker? Is that a big difference? What do you prefer?

2. I already have a Les Paul Modern with Burstbucker Pro. Which 335 will sound and feel most different vs. the Les Paul Modern?

I am trying to get a guitar that will be different vs. my Les Paul Modern. + I like to play blues / rock.

Thanks fo sharing your thoughts!

Best,

Andreas

P.S.: Planning for new gear is just exciting !! ;-)

Either would be good, looking at the links...tough call. 

Reissue.....can't go wrong really...however calibrated T-types have been described as 'epic game-changers' -

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Gibson's+new+Calibrated+T-Type+humbucking+pickups

I just got a 2013 Gibson with burstbuckers; I'm still evaluating them.  What I don't like is a muddy neck pickup.

need to try 'em -  I think the feel of the neck for me is more important than the pickup as that can usually be changed for the better.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing the search link! Many people describe the T-Type PU as bright. And thats not what I want. I want the guitar to sound more woody or mellow. I guess I ll bite the bullet and go for the 1964 ES-335 Reissue. 

Thanks!

best,

Andreas

On 10/17/2021 at 7:41 AM, arftown said:

Thanks for sharing the search link! Many people describe the T-Type PU as bright. And thats not what I want. I want the guitar to sound more woody or mellow. I guess I ll bite the bullet and go for the 1964 ES-335 Reissue. 

Thanks!

best,

Andreas

Thats just what I would prefer in a 335. Sounds like jdgm may want to change at least one of his pickups. I favour neck PUs and mud is a no-no! 

I'm unfamiliar with the custombucker alnico 3s. I notice they are unpotted. 

I also followed jdgm's link. Two reports described the T-Types as underwound with low output. Personally that sounds attractive to me. Though bright, they should have more clarity. On the amp I would EQ out the brightness and keep the guitar tone full on. 

The only mention of 'Epic Game Changers' I found was on Dawsons https://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/a-guide-to-gibson-pickups site which is a blanket title for the reviewed pickups. I didnt see a T-type in that collection. 

Phil MK review of a T-Type equipped 335

Good luck 

Edited by merciful-evans
link added
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I think the reason Gibson comes out with a new Pickup every other day is they’re trying to figure out how they made those PAF’s in the ‘50’s… So far they haven’t done it…. Close, but, no Cigar…

I dont see that they ever can. There was so much variation in those 50's PAFs that they are now a moving target.

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I dont see that they ever can. There was so much variation in those 50's PAFs that they are now a moving target.

Yes, that’s true. But, I’ve yet to hear any 70’s or newer HB Pickup that sounds as good as my 1959 Gibson ES345 with PAF’s…

Re your Post. That’s exactly what they’re doing now… There as many Gibson HB’s as there are colors in the Rainbow! Inconsistencies back in the 50’s was because they were all hand wound among other things.... 

Well I happened to get a 2021 Figured yesterday and oh my it is an exceptional guitar.

It has the T-Types and in 335 terms I'd say they are bright. I like them so far, they suit my style, but they are not the same as in my previous 2000 335 which was pretty good at the mellow, warm, woody vibe. 

IMG_20211023_175801_720 (2).jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Great guitar! That's what I have on order (still waiting). 

I was debating a similar choice as the OP and decided to go for the 2021 figured. Tone controls on both the guitar and the amp will help if it's too bright, and it seems the T-Types will provide more clarity for cleaner sounds.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:40 PM, Morety said:

I was debating a similar choice as the OP and decided to go for the 2021 figured. Tone controls on both the guitar and the amp will help if it's too bright, and it seems the T-Types will provide more clarity for cleaner sounds.

I got the Opportunity to play loud through my amp yesterday. I have a Jazz Chorus and it wasn't difficult to dial in everything from smooth mellow to crystal cleans with whatever amount of dirt thrown into the mix when I fancied it. 

I'll be keeping these pups. They sounded really good. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/23/2021 at 11:05 AM, _Padders said:

Well I happened to get a 2021 Figured yesterday and oh my it is an exceptional guitar.

It has the T-Types and in 335 terms I'd say they are bright. I like them so far, they suit my style, but they are not the same as in my previous 2000 335 which was pretty good at the mellow, warm, woody vibe. 

IMG_20211023_175801_720 (2).jpg

Beautiful!

• 10 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, Morety said:

A few years late for this post, but this is EXACTLY my experience with the T-tops.  I bought a Figured 335 last week based on the pick-up sound.  The tone knob does wonders for mellowing out the sound (not being sarcastic, it really has an effective sweep).  I have a 2011 ES-335 with '57 Classics and they are dark sounding (which I like), but I can't brighten up the sound with it, it is what it is.  Go T-top for the note clarity, articulation and flexibility of sound.

Edited by bobalu

On 10/23/2021 at 8:27 AM, Larsongs said:

I think the reason Gibson comes out with a new Pickup every other day is they’re trying to figure out how they made those PAF’s in the ‘50’s… So far they haven’t done it…. Close, but, no Cigar…

Not sure I agree there - cause the T-type Calibrated pups don't get close to the clazziks, but obviously do something new. They provide an updated contemporary version of the 335. Clearer and without that old-school grand-dad's-vintage-electric-guitar-voice some people treasure, miss and hunt so passionately.

As Morety and others say, the knobs are there for a reason and will easily roll off the top if it seems too bright. You can also find your way down to the wellknown jazzy plus/minus 1970s European serious folk-rock tone. Yet again - it will not appear to be a retro-version of the legendary PAF or P-90 flavor.  

13 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Not sure I agree there - cause the T-type Calibrated pups don't get close to the clazziks, but obviously do something new. They provide an updated contemporary version of the 335. Clearer and without that old-school grand-dad's-vintage-electric-guitar-voice some people treasure, miss and hunt so passionately.

As Morety and others say, the knobs are there for a reason and will easily roll off the top if it seems too bright. You can also find your way down to the wellknown jazzy plus/minus 1970s European serious folk-rock tone. Yet again - it will not appear to be a retro-version of the legendary PAF or P-90 flavor.  

I own several modern Gibsons with different modern versions of Humbuckers.. I’ve played just about everything from 1959 PAF’s to just about every HB from then to now.. I have never heard a Humbucker that sounds as good as the PAF’s in my old 1959 ES-345 Stereo.. There was nothing old man about them! They did it all! So far, IMO, none compare.. Some come close but still, no Cigar..

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I own several modern Gibsons with different modern versions of Humbuckers.. I’ve played just about everything from 1959 PAF’s to just about every HB from then to now.. I have never heard a Humbucker that sounds as good as the PAF’s in my old 1959 ES-345 Stereo.. There was nothing old man about them! They did it all! So far, IMO, none compare.. Some come close but still, no Cigar..

I read you - but without bein' an expert also know that a part of the PAF-legend is that they were so uneven, , , unsystematized. . 

To my ears the T-type Calibrated seem to have a basically different updated nature.

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Could be a good idea to find a guit like yours on the Tube and set it up here. Is that possible without spending the entire weekend searching. . 

45 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Could be a good idea to find a guit like yours on the Tube and set it up here. Is that possible without spending the entire weekend searching. . 

I agree there are no 2 Guitars that are exactly alike.. I’ve heard that comment about the unevenness.. I have played many 50’s Gibsons with PAF’s.. Owned one.. In my experience they all sounded like their legend.. Although, some were a little better..

Foolishly, my younger more naive self thought the newer Gibsons had to be better & I traded my old 59 in.. I was wrong. I’ve regretted trading mine in ever since. I’ve been chasing that sound ever since.. Buying one new Gibson after another.. All promising they have unlocked the magic secret but all fell short.. None have delivered.. Some are quite good.. But, in my experience none compare..

No. I don’t believe YouTube’s tell the truth.. Every video is produced with different Recording Gear & are Mixed by Guys with varying degrees of skill & equipment.. There is no way to sample my old Guitar as I have no idea where it is today.. If I could find it I’d trade all my Guitars, except one, to get it back..

I’m happy that you love you’re Guitar.

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I agree there are no 2 Guitars that are exactly alike.. I’ve heard that comment about the unevenness.. I have played many 50’s Gibsons with PAF’s.. Owned one.. In my experience they all sounded like their legend.. Although, some were a little better..

Foolishly, my younger more naive self thought the newer Gibsons had to be better & I traded my old 59 in.. I was wrong. I’ve regretted trading mine in ever since. I’ve been chasing that sound ever since.. Buying one new Gibson after another.. All promising they have unlocked the magic secret but all fell short.. None have delivered.. Some are quite good.. But, in my experience none compare..

No. I don’t believe YouTube’s tell the truth.. Every video is produced with different Recording Gear & are Mixed by Guys with varying degrees of skill & equipment.. There is no way to sample my old Guitar as I have no idea where it is today.. If I could find it I’d trade all my Guitars, except one, to get it back..

I’m happy that you love you’re Guitar.

I naturally bow to your experience while carefully listening - but still believe quite a lot Tube-films 'depicts' the sounds of the instruments alright. 

Did I say I love my 335 - was it in another thread. Anyways, , , it's absolutely new here and I respect it a lot while trying to find its various levels and secrets.                                                                                                                                                  We may go far together. It's one very strong yet sensitive spade - and of course a might qool looker. . 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I naturally bow to your experience while carefully listening - but still believe quite a lot Tube-films 'depicts' the sounds of the instruments alright. 

Did I say I love my 335 - was it in another thread. Anyways, , , it's absolutely new here and I respect it a lot while trying to find its various levels and secrets.                                                                                                                                                  We may go far together. It's one very strong yet sensitive spade - and of course a might qool looker. . 

Thro-Bak bought Gibsons PAF Winders from the old Kalamazoo factory.. Still uses them today.. I believe they use the same wire & magnets. Many consider their HB’s as close to the real PAF’s as you can get.. 

I agree that PAF’s changed over the years.. IMO & experience the PAF’s from 1959 were magic..

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Thro-Bak bought Gibsons PAF Winders from the old Kalamazoo factory.. Still uses them today.. I believe they use the same wire & magnets. Many consider their HB’s as close to the real PAF’s as you can get.. 

I agree that PAF’s changed over the years.. IMO & experience the PAF’s from 1959 were magic..

Well, great - no intention to switch, but will write your comment down. As I understand it there were also some called PAT ?