Gibson Brands Forums

Cases vs Hanging Your Guitar

NighthawkChris

Ann you need to put your pictures on a host sight like IMGR (it's free to sign up) and then transfer them over to here.

On topic, I have never hung any of my guitars, acoustic or electric, on wall hangers, and I never leave them sitting out on stands either.  I always store them in the cases when not playing them.  For any type this keeps them cleaner (less dust in those nooks and crannies) and especially for acoustics the humidity is more constant inside a case.  Back in the day when I gigged a lot with a band, depending on the stage set up, I often would put my guitar back in the case during a break between sets.  If it was a big stage that audience members couldn't get to I'd leave it on a stand, but it only took one time for someone in a small bar to knock my Les Paul off it's stand and bend a tuning peg for me to become more careful.

This is probably paranoia on my part, and I know guitars are hung in stores for months at a time, but I never liked the idea of stressing the joint between neck and headstock by hanging a guitar, especially a 10 to 12 pound Les Paul.  A stand OK, it's being supported from the bottom.  Then there is the fear the hanger could work loose and the guitar come crashing down off the wall.  I guess I am just satisfied to hear my guitars when I play them, and not concerned about looking at them when I'm not.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

"........but it only took one time for someone in a small bar to knock my Les Paul off it's stand and bend a tuning peg for me to become more careful......."

Occasionally, something good comes out of accidents like this. A drunk stepping on his guitar and damaging it so badly that it needed to be replaced, led to Willie Nelson using the Martin N-20 that became "Trigger".

RBSinTo

13 minutes ago, GuitarsAnn said:

I hate using hosting sights. I used to use them on other forums, but they went belly up and all the pictures I posted were gone from the forum. some were very important construction pictures. Very upsetting.

if you Facebook  you can use that.. 

Here's something I like to hang up from time to time

7tY6sCO.jpg

9H5c85Y.jpg

Not that these are case queens, but when not played, generally, these are cased.  I have a nice wooden guitar case rack that holds quite a few of cases.  I do my best to keep these protected as best I can.  Falling off a hanger is the least of my worries though.  Sometimes it's just nice to hang these to appreciate them for what they are. 

• Like 2

Thank you! It sure frees up a room that was seldom used. The Murphy bed with the side cabinets is very functional and great for storage. The guitar case protects the guitars on a daily basis and when guests are using the room. I can be ready for the kids in about 5 minutes.

23 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Here's something I like to hang up from time to time

7tY6sCO.jpg

9H5c85Y.jpg

Not that these are case queens, but when not played, generally, these are cased.  I have a nice wooden guitar case rack that holds quite a few of cases.  I do my best to keep these protected as best I can.  Falling off a hanger is the least of my worries though.  Sometimes it's just nice to hang these to appreciate them for what they are. 

Doesn't that stucco affect the finish on their backs any?

Whitefang

28 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Doesn't that stucco affect the finish on their backs any?

Whitefang

Stucco? I am using Hercules guitar hangers and the stuff doesn’t damage the nitro finish at all around the headstock - where they obviously seat the guitars. If you got crazy about it, just put a small piece of clean cotton something where contact between the guitar and hanger happens. 

8 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

He means if you bang it against the wall.

Oh yeah...  😁

@Whitefang, well, I haven't had that happen yet luckily.  House I bought came like this; I wouldn't put this bumpy crap on the walls.  It's a pain to take off too from what I've read/seen.  Either way, you just have to be careful putting the guitars up there I guess.  If a guitar does make contact with the wall, it could be something that might not be too good for the guitar if you care about the finish on it. 

15 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Oh yeah...  😁

@Whitefang, well, I haven't had that happen yet luckily.  House I bought came like this; I wouldn't put this bumpy crap on the walls.  It's a pain to take off too from what I've read/seen.  Either way, you just have to be careful putting the guitars up there I guess.  If a guitar does make contact with the wall, it could be something that might not be too good for the guitar if you care about the finish on it. 

you can put pillows on the wall behind them!!  get some fancy ones that match  your décor!   Trust me man.... your wife will love the look  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1