Gibson Brands Forums

53 J-185 I found this very entertaining.

Paul14

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Two thoughts

1: The kid that did the work was great.  Has patience and know-how beyond his years.

2: They owner playing it in the second video?  Just hand him a $200 Washburn 6 string and call it a day..

Didn’t appreciate his playing either. I did enjoy the history of the guitar though.

maybe the guitar will make him a better player?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Didn’t appreciate his playing either. I did enjoy the history of the guitar though.

maybe the guitar will make him a better player?

I know Paul,  I should probably haven't said anything, but it just came out... 🙂

It's HIS Guitar after all, he can play it with a pipe wrench and whack at it with a stick if he wants. 

Was curious to hear what it really sounded like and that second clip, just didn't do that at all.

Incredible videos.

The work was top-notch... the luthier has a great feel on the instrument.

The history was interesting.... I learned a BUNCH just watching!

The owner doesn't play music like many of us.....but I appreciate his willingness to get the guitar back to the shape it is in now.

I enjoyed these videos a lot. What a talented, and patient, young guitar-smith!  It must have taken many, many hours to complete. Glad to see all that went on bringing this old family treasure back to playing status again. Imagine what that old Gibson has been through in Great Grandpa's hands. Absolutely wonderful work! Thanks for finding and posting the videos.

Edited by TomPhx

A lovely story. Thanks for sharing it.

But, well, replacing those back braces rather than cleaning them up and reinstalling them? And, more importantly, replacing that original maple bridgeplate, which was in repairable condition with a new mahogany bridgeplate the size of Rhode Island? What a shame. 😞

I do hope that this shop keeps the original parts and that someday the guitar and the parts land in the hands of someone like Mark Stutman, TJ Thompson, or Willi Henkes.

• Like 3

I watched the video a second time, and enjoyed again.  It's always interesting to watch an instrument receiving attention.   I listened a little closer and absorbed a little better what the guy had to say about why he did what he did, particularly with the back braces and the plate.   Whether we can agree with him or not so, he did offer an explanation to why he was doing what he was  doing in those two areas.  I would sure like to think such was with the owner's blessing for certain.  But, it was worth hearing what he was saying to explain his actions .   

1 hour ago, Hall said:

...  Whether we can agree with him or not ...   

He seems like a lovely guy. But his choices on the back bracing and especially the bridgeplate were just wrong. I'm sorry to  be so judgmental. But I am being honest. His work does not meet the standards of the leaders in vintage guitar restoration.

I wish that he'd reached out to someone like the folks I listed in my first post before making his choices. 😞

Years ago, there was a link shared here on the forum where the proprietor of the shop had another vintage Gibson in for major repairs (similar condition, or worse)- can't remember the model, but it was an iconic flat top from the '30's or '40's. . .  some here definitely went wide-eyed at the direction that the repairs went. 'Couldn't find it on a forum search, and on the shop's YT channel, it looks like they upload videos as much as they do repairs. 

Enjoyed the intern's enthusiasm- an endearing young lad who's already jumping in and tackling the big jobs.

also- aren't Gibsons built with a bit of a "belly" - not perfectly flat, both top and back?

28 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Years ago, there was a link shared here on the forum where the proprietor of the shop had another vintage Gibson in for major repairs (similar condition, or worse)- can't remember the model, but it was an iconic flat top from the '30's or '40's. . .  some here definitely went wide-eyed at the direction that the repairs went. 'Couldn't find it on a forum search, and on the shop's YT channel, it looks like they upload videos as much as they do repairs. 

Enjoyed the intern's enthusiasm- an endearing young lad who's already jumping in and tackling the big jobs.

also- aren't Gibsons built with a bit of a "belly" - not perfectly flat, both top and back?

I believe that one was a J-200 with major issues. It ended up with a giant bridgeplate as well, of that same wood, which seems to be some sort of very dense, resonant hardwood. In that case, the top under the bridge was pretty well chewed up.

Certainly the slope-J models are built  with  a slight dome to both the top and the back.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jt said:

He seems like a lovely guy. But his choices on the back bracing and especially the bridgeplate were just wrong. I'm sorry to  be so judgmental. But I am being honest. His work does not meet the standards of the leaders in vintage guitar restoration.I wish that he'd reached out to someone like the folks I listed in my first post before making his choices. 😞

I only got a little bit into the video, and did not catch what he was doing with the bridgeplate or back braces.  I was just thrilled to see an early J-185 receiving attention, as this is my all-time favorite model.  

Very hard to understand not going with a maple bridgeplate & matching the original footprint.  Perhaps someday this will be rectified.

Thanks, Buc.  I wanted and needed to see that one again as I could kind of remember it!             

*jt, point taken.  I just appreciated the lad's explanations a bit more the second time through.   Maybe the owner  had to go with who he could afford, or with who he had knowledge and was comfortable, etc.   We  do not know the circumstances.

Edited by Hall

1 hour ago, Hall said:

... *jt, point taken.  I just appreciated the lad's explanations a bit more the second time through.   Maybe the owner  had to go with who he could afford, or with who he had knowledge and was comfortable, etc.   We  do not know the circumstances.

Excellent points!

7 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

The same hack.  I busted his chops over this one........

I watched that one too. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I’m no luthier, but if the owner didn’t want another pick guard, I would have left it the way I found it. In my opinion it looked better before he fixed  it.

I thought the kid did a good job with the 185, & would have been happy with the end result. I think they charge about $100. Per hour. Wouldn’t want to spend hundreds on cleaning those braces. The kid said they were spongy, & one was broken.

he also said the oversized bride plate was to correct a bulge?  Making your work cost effective, sometimes means doing the best you can with what you’ve got.

the owner didn’t strike me as someone with an endless supply of money. If the owner is happy, I am too.

21 hours ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

I wouldn't  take a wheelbarrow in need of repair to Rosa .

Good thing you don't.

With all the guitars he has to work on, it might take years for you to get it back.

Better you should send it to Bozeman.

Maybe they'll even glue one of those really snappy "bird" pickguards on it and you can call the barrow your "Schleppingbird".

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

• 1 month later...

Go to UMGF’s Technical Info section & read the ongoing “So this is how to remove the top from an old Martin (Rosa String Works)” thread.  Five pages worth of clarity on the dangers of leaving a guitar with Rosa, as he absolutely destroys a vintage 00-18.

Imho, he’s a potential menace to any vintage instrument that crosses his path.  Spread the word, so hopefully more instruments won’t have to suffer untold indignities.

• Thanks 2