Gibson Brands Forums

Grover's to Vintage style tuners....NECK DIVE SG GIBSON

SG Sydney

Got a SG Gibson Standard  2019 with Grover tuners. Great tuners , nothing wrong with them , but was thinking of putting Vintage style tuners as SG Gibson '61 reissue  came out with to solve neck dive in SG, not that's it a real issue, but playing the SG while sitting on lounge with no strap, man that's a lot of weight up in neck area and  down she goes , and  thought that's what contributes to SG neck dive. I read that Vintage style tuners are much lighter than Grover's tuners, but don't want to buy Vintage style tuners if it doesn't work . So has anybody changed them over................

43 minutes ago, SG Sydney said:

Got a SG Gibson Standard  2019 with Grover tuners. Great tuners , nothing wrong with them , but was thinking of putting Vintage style tuners as SG Gibson '61 reissue  came out with to solve neck dive in SG, not that's it a real issue, but playing the SG while sitting on lounge with no strap, man that's a lot of weight up in neck area and  down she goes , and  thought that's what contributes to SG neck dive. I read that Vintage style tuners are much lighter than Grover's tuners, but don't want to buy Vintage style tuners if it doesn't work . So has anybody changed them over................

are you using a nylon style strap?

I've 2 SGs,  the neck dive can be pretty much mitigated with a brushed leather/suede strap 

like this Levy leather / suede strap: Guitar Strap - MS26-RST (levysleathers.com)

It's all I use, no neck dive.

I'd try that before swapping out the hardware.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SG Sydney said:

If you don't take @kidblast's decision, then you will most likely have to take the Grovers out, fill the holes they leave behind, pilot some new holes for the vintage Kluson tuners, then install.  How pretty you do the job is up to you and what you can live with - i.e. handling the filled holes.  You probably would want to make sure the plugs for the holes the Grovers made are cut flush with the headstock plane and would be even nicer to finish over them.  I wouldn't do the conversion unless I was ready for all of that.  So if a strap saves you this effort, probably a good idea to try this first IMHO.  It's the least invasive way to correct something that is bothering you.  You also don't know for sure if the tuner swap will alleviate the neck dive...  But in all fairness, those Grovers are a bit heavy as far as tuners go...  Swapping the tuners might affect the dive factor.  Perhaps take a mass measurement of your Grovers vs Kluson tuners... 

It would be easy enough to remove the tuners just to see how much difference it makes to the neck dive. Then, if you could discover the weight of vintage ones you could simulate the effect by filling a bag of sugar/flour/powder and adding that back on. 

It might save the expense and inconvenience of a unneccesary mod. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

It would be easy enough to remove the tuners just to see how much difference it makes to the neck dive. Then, if you could discover the weight of vintage ones you could simulate the effect by filling a bag of sugar/flour/powder and adding that back on. 

It might save the expense and inconvenience of a unneccesary mod. 

pretty sure it wont make a difference.   Both SGs have klusons, the Classic has the white "bean" heads, the Standard,  green tulip heads.

If I use a cheezy nylon strap  these guitars move all over the place.  but with a levy suede strap,,  it grips the shoulder, and it does not move.

I don't see how swapping out the tuners is going to change this.

Edited by kidblast

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

If you don't take @kidblast's decision, then you will most likely have to take the Grovers out, fill the holes they leave behind, pilot some new holes for the vintage Kluson tuners, then install.  How pretty you do the job is up to you and what you can live with - i.e. handling the filled holes.  You probably would want to make sure the plugs for the holes the Grovers made are cut flush with the headstock plane and would be even nicer to finish over them.  I wouldn't do the conversion unless I was ready for all of that.  So if a strap saves you this effort, probably a good idea to try this first IMHO.  It's the least invasive way to correct something that is bothering you.  You also don't know for sure if the tuner swap will alleviate the neck dive...  But in all fairness, those Grovers are a bit heavy as far as tuners go...  Swapping the tuners might affect the dive factor.  Perhaps take a mass measurement of your Grovers vs Kluson tuners... 

Yeah kidblast came up with a good idea...... I'll try that for sure......as you mentioned about filling in the holes, yikes,  don't want to do that, didn't think about that, thought they would alline the same way..... Yeah I use a thick strap and get no neck-dive at all.....only when sitting down and not wearing a strap.....but as i mentioned it's no big deal.....just tinkering around......  the Grover's seem heavy but don't have any problem at all with them .....

Yeah kidblast came up with a good idea.... I'll try that for sure......as you mentioned about filling in the holes, yikes don't want to do that. thought they would alline the same way...... Yeah I use a thick strap and get no neck-dive at all.... only when sitting down and playing but as I mentioned it's no big deal..... just tinkering around...... the Grover's seem heavy but don't have any problem with them at all.....

10 hours ago, SG Sydney said:

9 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

@SG Sydney why don't you play with a strap sitting,  

Few teams in tuners won't help the dive

I only put the strap on when standing up , a thick strap helps with neck dive, there is none.... sounds like changing tuners won't help, due to other comments as well...... anyway it's just a minor issue.....I'm thinking I should look at other end of guitar at the back where the pots and circuits are, in that plastic cover . If the cover was made of metal and had a heat shield inside were pots sit it should balance out the guitar..... something for me to experiment with..... I've heard some people put weights in that area but I won't be doing that..... 

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

which gives you coolness just like this.

89852866_10213849687755882_5311320252322

Exactly! Very nice! And with P90’s! 👍 

Plus, you can use a Vibramate in case you don’t want to drill any holes, making it completely reversible…

Edited by Larsongs

7 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Exactly! Very nice! And with P90’s! 👍 

Plus, you can use a Vibramate in case you don’t want to drill any holes, making it completely reversible…

yes, exactly   the vibramate is a brilliant little device.  that's the B5/V5 kit.   have a LP Standard with a similar setup with a B7/V7  they work great

Just now, kidblast said:

yes, exactly   the vibramate is a brilliant little device.  that's the B5/V5 kit.   have a LP Standard with a similar setup with a B7/V7  they work great

I have the B7 & Vibramate on my Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul… It is brilliant! I just got another B7 & ordering a Vibramate for my ES335..

The Rotomatcs use threaded bushings, the Vintage Kluson style are lighter but use pressed in bushings meaning a smaller post hole.

A nice basic leather strap will help quite a bit, but a basic 4" wide leather bass strap will work wonders.