Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird TV 2008 - Authentic or not?

2penny_hangover

40 minutes ago, 2penny_hangover said:

I don't think it would do anything to support the bridge as it's super thin and wimpy. My guess is that it's an insulation layer for the pickup

My vote is with RvrDxn -  a "do it yourself"  plate mate, installed after market to reduce or prevent the string end balls from chewing up the bridge pin holes.  Possible the holes are a little too close to to the other holes in the bridge to locate the bolts,  which we've seen occurred in prior years at Bozeman. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

My vote is with RvrDxn -  a "do it yourself"  plate mate, installed after market to reduce or prevent the string end balls from chewing up the bridge pin holes.  Possible the holes are a little too close to to the other holes in the bridge to locate the bolts,  which we've seen occurred in prior years at Bozeman. 

That's what I thought when when I replied soon after 2Penny_  first mentioned it,

. . .  and he used the word "plate" in his post. A luthier once thought he was doing me a favor, and installed a PlateMate on my guitar, and that .032" plate is fairly thick, and definitely tearing one like the OP's is torn would be unlikely. But seeing the copper color, knowing copper's use as e shielding, and having a look at how thin and torn it was on his HB, and that if this was a TV-HB, then the onboard electronics would've been an aftermarket add-on which might've brought on some buzz issues. But OP 2Penny_ also mentioned buzz between the nut and fretted note,  which might mean making sure humidity level is ok, and/or taking a closer look at the ramping of the nut.

Edited by 62burst

Sure looks like thin foil to me. Look at the area around the holes, where it's curled up, as though it was just "poked" through. The "plate mate" is much thicker, squared-off and has drilled holes with smooth edges. Might also be brass shim-stock which is thin metal, like a heavy foil.

Edited by Boyd