Gibson Brands Forums

What's it like?

lespaul214

When the Faded was a few bucks more than the top-end Epiphone it might've been a hard choice to make, but now it's only a few hundred shy of the Standard if I recall, so personally I'd either just buy an Epi G-400 and upgrade the pickups (and STILL have a lot of cash to spare) or save up a little longer and just get a Standard...but then again, if you're gonna' hold out then just save a little more and pick up a '61 Reissue. They're not "perfect" but it's a much more pleasing guitar to play, and look at.

H-Bomb

I think a faded is a fine choice for a beginner. I agree with Hbomb,a few more bucks will get you a Standard, and that money can be recouped if you ever sell or trade it, and it's a better guitar.

I can't do Chinese guitars.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I'd say look around on eBay or Craigslist and try and find a used Standard. You can find one these days, especially in this economic state, for a really decent price. People tend to take very good care of these guitars and I found an '07 without so much a a scratch on her. You'll definitely be satisfied with its performance and not be longing for a better guitar anytime soon. Plus, and this is just a theory, but I think a better guitar can help inspire you to practice harder and play better. Also, as stated above, the Standard will hold its resale value more than a faded. And finally, it's just so damn beautiful! Like a Ferrari crossed with a candied apple on a stick!

Are you convinced yet?

When the Faded was a few bucks more than the top-end Epiphone it might've been a hard choice to make' date=' but now it's only a few hundred shy of the Standard if I recall, so personally I'd either just buy an Epi G-400 and upgrade the pickups (and STILL have a lot of cash to spare) or save up a little longer and just get a Standard...but then again, if you're gonna' hold out then just save a little more and pick up a '61 Reissue. They're not "perfect" but it's a much more pleasing guitar to play, and look at.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Thats exactly what I did. I wanted a faded, then a standard, then what the hell. 61.

sg.jpg

^not mine.

Hey' date='

Im looking for my 1st Gibson and im thinking, as ive only been playing a year, a Gibson SG Special Faded.

Anyone got any other ideas in that pice range? Or any advice to give me when im buying?

Ta muchly[/quote']

I have a black SG Special and I think it rocks, I have played 100's of shows with it and jammed with it countless times and I think it's a great guitar, plus I am not that worried about banging it off things. I also think the worn brown SG Special looks really nice and feels pretty cool too.

If you are on a limited budget forking out another $500-$600 for a Standard just might not be an option. In which case I think a Special would do you just fine, or like others have mentioned you could try looking at some used Gibsons. :)

I'd buy a faded to bang around the bars when my son gets my '79 SG, but now, because of the ES-339, I'm addicted to binding. Not just the feel, but the "dot visibility factor" on different stages.

We have decent lights, but those little white dots on the ebony are harder to see than the black dots on the binding.

Or it's just me?

Archived