Gibson Brands Forums

Why don't Gibson produce SGs with P90??

Sven Bornemark

Hi guys! I'm new here but I like the style and attitude of this forum a lot. Many helpful souls, many good thoughts, lotsa guitars... :-

Some 16 months ago I was fortunate enouh to get hold of one of the 400 guitars produced in 2007 during week 37 called "The ‘67 SG Special Reissue w/P-90’s". God, this is a great guitar!!!

Now, one thing that puzzles me a lot, is why Gibson don't produce any SGs with P90 pickups on a regular basis. The guitar is great, very lightweithg and nice, it looks fabulous and the pickups are very, very special. While they produce good output and a solid tone, thay also have quite a lot of that elegant single coil tone character that Fender users swear by.

Now, if Gibson want to attract more users to become their customers, why don't they push the P90 button a bit harder? A P90-equipped Gibson is such an irresistible temptation to any user of any other guitar. And the SG design is probably the one that stands out most as being ROCK!

The SG Classic is a really nice guitar. The part of the pickguard that meets the neck may not be the best design in the world, but the rest of the guitar is stunning. The wraparound bridge is really cool and the "TV yellow" colour is fabulous. I would really like to own such a guitar! :D/

But...

The SG Classic (now discontinued)...

Exactly. NOW DISCONTINUED! And quite pricey it was too.

Lots of guitarists I speak to and read about praise the P90 pickups. It's a mystery why Gibson use that pickup so little.

I don't know about you folks across the pond, but here in the US there's a small but devout following of P-90 fans.

I'm one of them.

They don't sell very well, everybody wants a humbucker in their Gibson.

My belief is that Gibson makes them in spurts to gauge the market interest from time to time.

I sold an SG Classic last year, I should have held on to it but I had too many SG's...

The Evil Empire has a chain here called Guitar Center, they still have them in stock.

I see the price has gone up on everything, the SG Classic as well.

Hang tag says $999.

The whole thing about how the pickguard meets the neck is part of the SG story.

There were some ugly neck joint failures in the early years, the pickup pocket was right beside the neck joint.

With the pickup moved, there's a gap there...

They don't sell very well' date=' everybody wants a humbucker in their Gibson.[/quote']

Maybe you're right. Or maybe P90-equipped SGs don't sell well because there aren't any of them around! =P~

I know a lot of P90 fans over here too. Whenever the subject of the P90 pickups is raised, terms like "magic" and "desirable" tend to appear.

The Evil Empire has a chain here called Guitar Center' date=' they still have them in stock.

I see the price has gone up on everything, the SG Classic as well.

Hang tag says $999.[/quote']

USD 999???? On guitarcenter.com it says USD 2,799-2,999 here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-SG-Special-VOS-Electric-Guitar-517995-i1149828.gc

I think the TV yellow model is the prettiest. :)

USD 999???? On guitarcenter.com it says USD 2' date='799-2,999...[/quote']

You're looking at the Custom Shop Historic reissues. There was a regular production model that was discontinued back in 2001, but up until a few months ago was still available as a Musician's Friend/Guitar Centre exclusive. I got mine back in 2005 for $899 US.

sgcl01.jpg

You're looking at the Custom Shop Historic reissues. There was a regular production model that was discontinued back in 2001' date=' but up until a few months ago was still available as a Musician's Friend/Guitar Centre exclusive. I got mine back in 2005 for $899 US.[/quote']

Oh, I stand corrected.

Boy, that SG of yours is just wonderful!!!! A real looker!!! I'll get some photo shots at my SG week 37 model soon.

It seems that GC drags them out every so often. I got mine late last year and I love it. I bought it because it had P90's and I wanted something a little different from my Les Paul. Sometimes I play them both on the same day but usually I alternate...today was SG day!

I got one at GC late December 2008. I thought they were being discontinued for good. Got it for $899.00 USD. I still consider it the best deal Gibson has had going for the past few years.

I've barely put it down since I got it. P90s' have become my favorite pickup of all time

I didnt plan on buying one, I didnt want to buy one, I'd never played one and probably never would have. BUT.... a friend brought over his 81 SG that was a hand-me-down from his father for a setup. It was in very bad need of a setup, after 4-5 hours I sat down and started to play her. Now I've been playing on and off for 35 years. I own a Martin acoustic , a nice Seagull 12 string and have owned mostly Tele's, semi hollow bodies etc.I never found that keeper electric. but never an SG of any kind or brand and never a Gibson. When I started to play this particular SG I was blown away by the feel and sound. Even my wife came in and said what is that guitar and why does it sound so great, I didnt want to give her up to the owner. A few days later I was out to lunch with some freinds and stopped by a GC with some time to kill. Just for the heck of it I started playing every SG I could see. Gibsons, Epiphones.. from $299 to $3299. They all sounded ok or good, they all had humbuckings. Then I saw a lonely SG at the top of their wall that looked different ... so the salesman got it down for me.. it was a New Gibson SG classic with P90's at only $999. I plugged her in and that was it.. she spoke to me.. just wow. I didnt buy her.. the economy and all...I just finished Hot rodding a Lespaul copy I bought cheap, so I didnt want to spend any more money. At dinnner that Night I was telling my wife about my day and about my time at GC. (She knew I didnt like the LesPaul copy.. the body was just to small for me.) I was reading after dinner when she walked in and said lovingly and clearly.. ok lets go buy it... so we did and I believe I have found my keeper electric.. Ive never been the type of guy or player that needed more than one of any type of guitar, I dont perform and never will. But My SG classic is perfect. Sorry for the long story.. but I felt it was worth telling.. Robb

Yes, exactly!! :) Pleased to meet you, fellow "week 37"-owner!

I was reading after dinner when she walked in and said very plainly and clearly.. ok lets go buy it...

Boy, what a story!! Such a golden moment! Beats sex, doesn't it? [-X

So you see, there are so many players who have special stories to tell about P90-equipped SGs. That was the point I tried to make in this thread. And my initial question remains: Why don't Gibson make a bigger affair of one of their best weapons????? [-(

Hi and thanks, my SG and Wife are both keepers... my SG does not look like your week 37 model. Mine has a full pickguard around the p90's and says classic on the truss rod cover. Why Gibson would discontinue this model for another Humbucker model like the Raw Power model I dont get.They are coming out with a VOS P90 SG at $2799 from their custom shop. A very similar guitar , the only major diff. is a vintage wrap-around bridge at nealry 3 times the price...I just dont understand the marketing of companys like Gibson or even Fender with their road worn series where they take a $399 guitar, beat it up and then sell it for $949. Gibson just layed off some workers due to the economic downturn, you would think that if they made more affordable good quality core model USA made guitars they would sell more and be able to keep their workforce....in most industries when they launch a new product there is R&D cost and that is certainly true with a product such as the robot guitars or darkfire.. but on a SG thats been in production for 40+ years and all there doing is change some wood or color options come-on. Everyones read or experienced the downturn of Gibson and Fenders quality in the past few years, I'm happy to say my Gibson is perfect after a personel setup to my liking, but if they paid more attention to quality of their core models, and to what customers want not Gimic guitars. the industry would be in a better place.. there enough ranting for a day...Robb

this is what im going to do except on an epi g400, im going to isntall p90's and use large mounting rings around the pickups liek on Tony Iommi's Monkey SG. search it up on google. and if your looking for another sg with p90's Gibson is going to replicate the Monkey SG soon, i hav no idea wen but they should.

Archived