Gibson Brands Forums

Will any of these amps work for a LP?

pumpkin

these are what my dad has available at his pawn shop, so they are free, will any of them work with the LP?

Ibanez – ibz10b

Line 6 – micro spider

Squire – champ 15

Crate – gx20m

Peavey - tko

my friends pawn shop has a Marshall, but its $1700. +:-@

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL!

guess i should have mentioned i know very little about these things' date=' but im trying to learn. i just bought my husband an 03 LP std prem plus for our anniversary. now he needs an amp.

[/quote']

if i were you, i'd spend a little $$$. the LP will sound alot better with a better amp. get him at least a 30 watt amp. or he's just gonna get bored playin his guitar. he's gonna need some UUMPH with the LP.

I'm in agreement with purchase of a nice amp to go along with the guitar. Just playing at home isn't a reason not to have good tone. If you're going to bother having a nice guitar, it's a shame not to bring out the best in it. Nothing will kill a nice guitar quicker than a cheap amp...it's also the quickest way to lose interest in playing it.

For what it's worth, you don't have to spend $1,700 for a nice Marshall. Since you mentioned a pawn shop, you don't mind used ... so scan ebay for example. With the economy as it is, it's a very good time to use it to your advantage and get a very nice tube amp for a song.

I'm in agreement with purchase of a nice amp to go along with the guitar. Just playing at home isn't a reason not to have good tone. If you're going to bother having a nice guitar, it's a shame not to bring out the best in it. Nothing will kill a nice guitar quicker than a cheap amp.

i know... i know.... i just had NO CLUE they were so expensive.

no, he will buy it. im just doing the searching for him.

i have a dear friend whose myspace says under *musical interests* - "If it originated from a Les Paul, traveled through an over drive pedal, resonated through an old tube Marshall amp...I probably love it!"

The best research is hearing each amp. Go into a store and just play them...but until then, try a website like guitarcenter.com > Amps & Effects > Combo Amps (under categories) > Tube Combo Amps, and see what's available and also what's in your price range. You don't need a big and expensive amp unless he plans on playing with a drummer. For simple home use, a 5 - 15 watt amp is perfect.

I've got three amps, myself - a 15 watt Vox AC15, a 40 Fender Blues Deluxe, and a 100W Marshall Stack. The 40 Watt Fender is overkill for simple home use. Take a complete strangers word for it...you spent a lot of money on a guitar, don't chinse out with the amp. It's hard to recommend a specific amp but tube amps sound sweet.

hey pumpkin , i looked at the guitar you bought your husband in your other post......very nice

for a practice amp i have a epiphone valve junior which i think is really nice and moderately priced and a tube amp as well. also i have a crate blackheart little giant that sounds great too. they are both tube amps and are only 5 watts.(the blackheart also has a switch to go down to 3 watts) i use mine with a boost pedal and i can keep up with a drumset at practice. these go for about 150-300 dollars. so you cant beat it. look for these used too . i bought my first epiphone valve junior combo for 75 dollars(before trading it up to the head version) brings out the tone of my les pauls. these little amps are great for home. on another note it is good to hear the amps before you buy them (preferably with the guitar) . hope this helped a little. there are many amps and opinions out there but i think its good to have a few to start looking at least.

Archived