Gibson Brands Forums

Will any of these amps work for a LP?

pumpkin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would you please give me your opinions on it? (Blackheart link)

Can't go wrong. Have the lucky bastid try out any of the 5 to 15 watt tube amps that are available now. The idea is to have a low powered amp playing on 9 or 10 where it is really singing and you get the best tone from the output tubes. If you're using a 30 or 40 or 50 watt amp at home, unless you're really lucky enough to crank it up, you'll only be on 2 and you will get the tone from the preamp stage but none of the character of the output tubes. The flavor of the amp comes from the output tubes - Fender uses different types than Marshall and those are different from Vox. To hear that you have to turn it way up, so the solution is to get a very small amp to begin with.

Then look at speaker size (yes, it matters). Most amps have a 12" speaker (some of course have more than one). A 10" speaker will be much quieter for a home setting but maybe not enough to play with a band. An 8" speaker like the Fender Champ won't be very loud at all (relatively speaking).

My vote's with the Fender Blues Jr., but that's only because it's my latest addition to the arsenal.

Can't go wrong. Have the lucky bastid try out any of the 5 to 15 watt tube amps that are available now. The idea is to have a low powered amp playing on 9 or 10 where it is really singing and you get the best tone from the output tubes. If you're using a 30 or 40 or 50 watt amp at home' date=' unless you're really lucky enough to crank it up, you'll only be on 2 and you will get the tone from the preamp stage but none of the character of the output tubes. The flavor of the amp comes from the output tubes - Fender uses different types than Marshall and those are different from Vox. To hear that you have to turn it way up, so the solution is to get a very small amp to begin with.

Then look at speaker size (yes, it matters). Most amps have a 12" speaker (some of course have more than one). A 10" speaker will be much quieter for a home setting but maybe not enough to play with a band. An 8" speaker like the Fender Champ won't be very loud at all (relatively speaking).

My vote's with the Fender Blues Jr., but that's only because it's my latest addition to the arsenal.[/quote']

im itching for vintage blues deluxe

Archived