Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sound Port Dilemma...

Gasman

19 hours ago, Gasman said:

Hey If you want more front end power in your G Series Guitar - Try this - I stuffed the hole with my Gibson Beanie!

d4R1yvW.jpg

Good thing you didn't use a Martin tee-shirt or cap to stuff the hole as then the two objects would mutually annihilate.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Kwisky -

No I actually love the sound with both sound holes open - It is very Unique sounding. It is a bit brighter than a Std. J-45 - but still sounds Great to me.  

I was kiddingly just showing and option for giving it more Front end. Ken

Edited by Gasman

4 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

Gasman, would you rather the sound port not be there, or do you notice a positive difference with it when playing alone?

On 11/14/2021 at 3:01 AM, Salfromchatham said:

I played the G45 again yesterday. it Still sounded flipping great…

I Agree Sal - great sounding guitar for not a lot of bread! Oh and Russo's just opened a store in my neck of the woods. Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I make a plug. Nothing fancy, but works great. I make them out of Phillipine Teak. As far as plugging the hole, what's wrong with two sounds from one guitar? And if You don't own one, why would You care? And they do sound different plugged, and especially when amplified.

Edited by ajay

Some other guitar companies in the past have tried the top sound port, but it never really took off.  I would love to try one of these new Gibsons to experience the sound difference, but that would be a 4 hour drive for me. Gasman, any way to capture the sound difference with video/audio?

22 hours ago, ajay said:

I make a plug. Nothing fancy, but works great. I make them out of Phillipine Teak. As far as plugging the hole, what's wrong with two sounds from one guitar? And if You don't own one, why would You care? And they do sound different plugged, and especially when amplified.

So only people who own them should chime in and give their 2 cents. Have you ever posted on a topic and you didn't own that piece of gear or string ect?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 11/30/2021 at 9:11 AM, Kwlsky said:

Some other guitar companies in the past have tried the top sound port, but it never really took off.  I would love to try one of these new Gibsons to experience the sound difference, but that would be a 4 hour drive for me. Gasman, any way to capture the sound difference with video/audio?

Actually there are a few YouTube video's that try to show the differences. To me it sounds much fuller with both holes open.

I have one guitar with a sound port. It's the one guitar that I have built:

John-Thomas-Guitar-Lichty-Guitar-BuildinJohn-Thomas-Guitar-Lichty-Guitar-BuildinJohn-Thomas-Guitar-Lichty-Guitar-BuildinJohn-Thomas-Guitar-Lichty-Guitar-BuildinJohn-Thomas-Guitar-Lichty-Guitar-BuildinJohn-Thomas-Guitar-Lichty-Guitar-Buildin

The addition of a sound port does not reduce volume. It certainly changes the way the guitar sounds to the player. I also believes that the port also changes how the guitar sounds out front. But  because I'm usually sitting behind the guitar, can't describe that difference well.

I quite like this guitar, especially when playing in a group setting, where the sound port is quite helpful.

I love John Monteleone's work. His guitars often feature huge sound ports.

restricted

John has built guitars with sliding doors over the ports, and over the soundhole:

yldq23f.jpeg

I've played a couple and preferred the tone with all doors open.

4 hours ago, jt said:

Indeed!

As a solo performer, I consider my gigs successful if I don't outnumber my audiences.

jt.,

I don't have that problem because our three cats come upstairs into the bedroom and sleep inside the guitar case of the instrument I'm playing.

And they never complain about my playing. At least not to me.

RBSinTo

11 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

jt.,

I don't have that problem because our three cats come upstairs into the bedroom and sleep inside the guitar case of the instrument I'm playing.

And they never complain about my playing. At least not to me.

RBSinTo

If they meowed that was their disapproval.