Gibson Brands Forums

First clip from new Beatles film

Rabs

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

Finished watching part 2 last night, I noticed Paul had a an EB2 that he didn't play leaning against his amp between his Ric and Hofner. Going to watch part 3 today..

I'm back in VA and my wife in is SC. I'm gonna start it from the beginning when I get home uninterrupted. Can't wait to see Yoko again giving it her all,  just sitting next to John. 

One of the funny comments was by Macca who was taking about the break up that they knew was going to happen and said "We didn't break up cause Yoko sat on an amp". 

Back when they first stared it was them and George and Mal and maybe an engineer. Can you imagine being under that pressure and have all those people watching you try to create new music and work and be filmed so it can be seen 50 years later.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm back in VA and my wife in is SC. I'm gonna start it from the beginning when I get home uninterrupted. Can't wait to see Yoko again giving it her all,  just sitting next to John. 

One of the funny comments was by Macca who was taking about the break up that they knew was going to happen and said "We didn't break up cause Yoko sat on an amp". 

Back when they first stared it was them and George and Mal and maybe an engineer. Can you imagine being under that pressure and have all those people watching you try to create new music and work and be filmed so it can be seen 50 years later.

An interesting thing for me was seeing that all of the Beatles played piano. Also the Fender VI Bass that all of the right hand players passed around.

Edited by mihcmac

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My favorite was when she was at the mic screaming "John" over and over.

Same here. Inspired lyric.

For someone to just sit on a chair and watch someone else 24/7 seems a bit... odd.

Then again she was  a performance artist, which is a fancy term for being unemployed and occasionally nude in public.

Edited by Pinch

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

An interesting thing for me was seeing that all of the Beatles played piano. Also the Fender VI Bass that all of the right hand players passed around.

I knew George and John played piano, did Ringo play the piano too, and I knew John and George used the Fender VI when Paul played piano. On this project it was supposed to be them all played as a group again and not overdubbing.

45 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Same here. Inspired lyric.

For someone to just sit on a chair and watch someone else 24/7 seems a bit... odd.

Then again she was  a performance artist, which is a fancy term for being unemployed and occasionally nude in public.

It means you make rotten unrehearsed music and do some terrible painting at the same time in the moment and its art. Her nude was just the cherry on top. I prefer Yoko in the bag.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I knew George and John played piano, did Ringo play the piano too, and I knew John and George used the Fender VI when Paul played piano. On this project it was supposed to be them all played as a group again and not overdubbing.

There are scenes in the last  half of part 2 with Ringo clearly playing the piano.. 

Just now, SteveFord said:

I finally broke down and gave Disney eight bucks and just saw the first one.

They were an amazing band, this is really interesting to watch them craft their songs.

I would say its well worth a months subscription by itself.. Youd pay more than that for a DVD of it.

And for the work Peter Jackson put in to restoring the footage and editing it the way he has done, its worth it alone  🙂 Let alone the fact theres 8 hours of it...

So so good.. He deserves some Oscars for this.

Watched the first one.  It's weird to be learning so much about the Beatles fifty years too late.

Like... Paul's the alpha.  I thought John was, but it seems like John's just kind of finding himself and not so comfortable in his own skin.

Seeing George struggling with his place in the band is pretty uncomfortable.  So much of how happy a band is is about what music gets played and what music gets dumped.  It's like learning three new songs for your next band practice and you go to practice and somebody else already decided the tunes are out and nobody ever talked about it, and you're, like, "Well, WTF?"

1 minute ago, badbluesplayer said:

Watched the first one.  It's weird to be learning so much about the Beatles fifty years too late.

Like... Paul's the alpha.  I thought John was, but it seems like John's just kind of finding himself and not so comfortable in his own skin.

Seeing George struggling with his place in the band is pretty uncomfortable.  So much of how happy a band is is about what music gets played and what music gets dumped.  It's like learning three new songs for your next band practice and you go to practice and somebody else already decided the tunes are out and nobody ever talked about it, and you're, like, "Well, WTF?"

In '68 John Lennon though it was a good life choice to start doing the highly glamourous drug heroine, and maybe he was still taking it as it was only early '69 in the doc.

Paul mentioned in one part he felt like the boss and was very in-charge . George kept getting dumped on by Paul and John. And he quit at the end of episode one.

16 hours ago, mihcmac said:

The show in its entirety is really interesting, but the end is killer.

Yeah, I am not sure I will watch part one again.. The main thing of interest to me about that was the story of what happened leading to George walking out and how they all interacted with each other...  Now I have seen it as it happened I think the only parts I will re-watch is the second and third.. The bit when Billy Preston comes in and everything comes alive is magical.. The rooftop gig goes even beyond that to legendary....  THAT I will want to watch again 🙂 

Edited by Rabs

10 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah, I am not sure I will watch part one again.. The main thing of interest to me about that was the story of what happened leading to George walking out and how they all interacted with each other...  Now I have seen it as it happened I think the only parts I will re-watch is the second and third.. The bit when Billy Preston comes in and everything comes alive is magical.. The rooftop gig goes even beyond that to legendary....  THAT I will want to watch again 🙂 

They said the same thing when Clapton came in at George's request, and the lads started acting a lot nicer to each other.

Think about this your Eric Clapton, you have been in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and you are currently in a hugely successful group called Cream and you don't even get a credit on The Beatles aka The White Album for playing on Gently Weeps.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They said the same thing when Clapton came in at George's request, and the lads started acting a lot nicer to each other.

Think about this your Eric Clapton, you have been in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and you are currently in a hugely successful group called Cream and you don't even get a credit on The Beatles aka The White Album for playing on Gently Weeps.

Yeah. Its a shame there isnt a video of that happening.....    Did find this though.

• Like 1

John did take something out of his coat pocket, saw that the camera was on him and quickly turned around and put it back into the pocket.  I wonder what that could be?

I can see why Ringo said he felt like there were 4 drummers in the band, I kept waiting for him to tell the other guys off.  Once they got George back in the band he started in on Ringo, too.  Poor guy.