Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 1964 Gibson SG Standard Reissue

hi13ts

Hi all, just want to share my new acquisition. Ever since I got a Custom Shop Les Paul a few years ago, I've been slowly working to replace all my Gibson USA guitars to its Custom Shop counterparts and it was time for the SG to make the leap. I went to Chicago for RiotFest a few months ago in hopes of finding the Custom Shop SG that would replace my 2015 SGS3, but I could not find any that spoke to me. I went to CME and Guitar Center. I figured there was on rush, so I'd bide my time. I had two guitars in mind, an SG Custom with three pickups but finished in ebony/oxblood, or a '64 Reissue SG, ebony would be preferred. At the time, Gibson wasn't shipping out a lot of 64's, as all of the shops were inundated with the 60th anniversary '61 Reissues. A fine guitar in its own right, but I am not a fan of the sideways trem. Fortunately, I was able to find a '64 Reissue at Replay Guitar in Tampa right as they got it in and bought it.

The difference in vibe between Gibson USA and Gibson Custom is palpable. I don't mean to disparage Gibson USA as they make truly excellent guitars and I still have several of them, but the Custom Shop is on another plane. It's such a sight to behold and a joy to play. I love love love the Custombuckers. At first, I didn't think I would since I don't normally gravitate towards the Alnico III sound and my favorite humbucker has been the '57 Classic for the past 10 years. However, Gibson got this right; it completely blew my mind when I first plugged it in. This is also the best SG I've played right out of the box, with minimal setup needed. I love the dark blood red aniline dye and the light patina of the VOS finish. It's so resonant and sustains unlike any other SG I've played. A true blessing of a guitar. I've already gigged with it a number of times and it's been so easy to play and comfortable. I foresee this being one of my main guitars for awhile.

Only mod I've done is wax pot the pickups (I've found this to be a necessity since I play it on loud stages) and installed Schaller S-locks.

I showcased it on a new song by Silk Sonic. It has a brightness that really fits with the rnb/soul feel. Lead tones during bridge and throughout end of song. Played along with a 2007 Gibson SG bass.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPZQu3J249QhDF599

Video:

Edited by hi13ts

Beautiful guitar and sounds great. I have an SG Original from 2013 in my collection that is pretty  much the same guitar, but Gibson USA...I'd like to try them out side by side.

Here's a short video of my SG Original. 

Edited by cody78

20 hours ago, cody78 said:

Beautiful guitar and sounds great. I have an SG Original from 2013 in my collection that is pretty  much the same guitar, but Gibson USA...I'd like to try them out side by side.

Here's a short video of my SG Original. 

Thanks for sharing your video. I had an SG Original as well. Bought it the tail end of 2012 right when the first batches were coming out. It was an excellent guitar and served as one of my main ones for six years. It's heavier than the '64, and less resonant. A flatter neck profile and just a bit muddier, but it more heat behind it. A great guitar for sure, but as I said in my original post, after my first custom shop guitar, it was clear, at least to me, that the fit, finish, and playability was on its own level so after that, I've been on a journey to upgrade all of my Gibson USA models to its custom shop counterparts.

• Like 1