Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pots - Are They Worth It?

6th Stringer

I am going to change the pickups in my SG Standard. I looked at some Gibson pots on their web site and they want $15 EACH!! Are they really any better than CTS or Bourns or something similar?  I imagine they are probably made by one of the major suppliers and we are just paying for the logo.

I could re-use the stock ones that are in it now, but I have to disconnect the braided shielding that is soldered to the tops. and by the time I get everything re-wired it will look like a mess. Although, I was thinking of using humbucker style P90s, so I would better off with some 330k pots anyway.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:11 PM, 6th Stringer said:

I am going to change the pickups in my SG Standard. I looked at some Gibson pots on their web site and they want $15 EACH!! Are they really any better than CTS or Bourns or something similar?  I imagine they are probably made by one of the major suppliers and we are just paying for the logo.

I could re-use the stock ones that are in it now, but I have to disconnect the braided shielding that is soldered to the tops. and by the time I get everything re-wired it will look like a mess. Although, I was thinking of using humbucker style P90s, so I would better off with some 330k pots anyway.

CTS makes the Gibson pots that I've seen recently.  You would need 500k  "A" taper pots with a knurled shaft.  Not sure if you'd need short shaft or long shaft pots - you'd need to measure the length of the threaded section - either 3/8" or 3/4".  CTS short-shaft pots here - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/potentiometer-cts-audio-knurled-shaft-38-bushing

Edited by badbluesplayer

On 11/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, badbluesplayer said:

CTS makes the Gibson pots that I've seen recently.  You would need 500k  "A" taper pots with a knurled shaft.  Not sure if you'd need short shaft or long shaft pots - you'd need to measure the length of the threaded section - either 3/8" or 3/4".  CTS short-shaft pots here - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/potentiometer-cts-audio-knurled-shaft-38-bushing

I thought so too.  and IRRC.. long shaft are needed for anything that's not a pick guard mounted setup

Edited by kidblast