Gibson Brands Forums

You guys see this?

dem00n

My Les Paul has a maple neck' date=' but with a rosewood fretboard. I don't like the looks of a maple fretboard with a LP. On the SG - nothing can make it look any uglier - IMO[/quote']

Totally agree. You correctly said fretboard, not neck, which is what I meant to say - so Ive edited my comment.

This is a lie .... a hoax. I refuse to believe it.

Why doesn't Gibson just start making strats, because that's what these are. What's next, bolt-on necks? Maybe on Epiphones or Baldwins, but not my beloved Gibson.

Gibson is selling out. The value of our guitars is going to wind up in the toilet over this. I akin this to what manufactured housing does to a good home market. It drags everything around it down. Next thing you know, these guitars will have an '88 Bonneville up on blocks in the front yard.

This readers comment from underneath the article sums it up..

This is a prelude to the Gibson Les Paul Hobo. It's made from tomato crates with a carved balsa top. Who's ever dreaming up this stuff at Gibson, fire them.

Sounds like there trying to re hash the studio.....

Flight959

Two things drive this guitar.

1. It's something new, something different, and it gets attention. That's what sells guitars - that and variety/choices.

2. It's CHEAP to produce. Cut Maple neck blanks, finish them. Don't bother adding a rosewood fretboard. Cheap paint.

Same thing as the Studio.

Why did Gibson introduce the Studio?

Cheap.

Then you figure out a way to market it.

Next was the Worn, Faded and satin finishes.

Were they better guitars?

No.

Gibson figured out how to market an American-made guitar that was less expensive to build.

Finishes are extremely labor intensive and time-consuming, the less you spend there the cheaper the guitar is to build.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting price points down so beginners can afford the product.

Just remember, cost is everything.

Why doesn't Gibson just start making strats' date=' because that's what these are. What's next, bolt-on necks? Maybe on Epiphones or Baldwins, but not my beloved Gibson.

[/quote']

That's the first thing I though when I saw the maple board... Fender in disguise.

Not to my tastes (if it's not a hoax).

i just can't get used to the look of a les paul with a light coloured fret board! :- i wonder what it sounds like???

The SG however looks ok with the light coloured neck, and,..... they never did sound as good as the les paul, so.... maybe the maple will be an improvement ?????

As much as I'd like some more affordable models, especially with '57 classics, I'm gonna have to say this is a joke. Maple Bodies? Unlikely. Also, they say the SG has 24 frets. If you look closely at the pic, it still has the standard 22. The Finishes on the guitars also look very fake.

Just spoke to Gibson the SG is 1680.00 MSRP and will come with either soft or hard case depending on dealer and the LP will be 1880.00 MSRP with the same options on cases.

Now I have some serious GAS; I love my maple necks and the classic 57's drop a single coil in the middle with a 5 way switch; yum!!!!

So it's real then. That's pretty awesome. Though that does make them slightly pricier than an LP studio. I'm assuming those pics were rough representations of the product.

Mmmm. A Les Paul with a maple fretboard (edited) - that'd take a bit of getting used to. Memories of the L6 (or was that the L5)?

It was the L6. The L5 has a multipiece maple neck (and the rest of the guitar is flamed maple as well...I have one), but the fretboard is ebony with abalone inlays.

I'm not a fan of a maple fretboard on this guitar; I would SO much have preferred it if the whole damned guitar was maple (neck *and* body) and the fretboard was ebony.

As for maple body guitars -- if they're using hard rock maple, these things get heavy. Heavier than mahogany, in fact. I've got several all-maple guitars and the bottom end has a LOT of presence and little mud (and the guitars tend to be brighter sounding overall), and once you get past the weight, it's a really nice sounding guitar. I'm very unlikely to be interested in one if it has a maple fretboard. One more thing -- I'm not going to buy one of these guitars if it's done up in nitrocellulose lacquer. I think it's high time that Gibson gets off that kick and does one up in a nice polyurethane or UV-catalyzed polyester.

And give me a good glossy guitar. No satin crap.

YMMV, Hike Your Own Hike and all that, but I vote with my checkbook.

Archived