Gibson Brands Forums

ChickenFoot

TheLiveSoundGuy

ok whose the wise guy who gave them the thumbs down? :-

Me.

I tried to keep an open mind when I listened to the stuff on their website but I just thought it was stupid. It sounded like a dated bunch of old musicians making really cheesy hard rock. It sounds like they wrote these songs while watching tv or during a 2 or 3 hour jam session.

In my opinion "supergroups" are usually cash-cows that, as a unit, rarely create music that doesn't sound like it was written in 20 minutes completely devoid of any of the talent or artistry that the members may posses on their own.

No offense but it sounds like music for middle aged guys who want to "rock out" to "new" music even though both the band and listeners are just living in the past.

I'm not arguing with you guys but merely explaining the thumbs down because I'm sure you're all wondering "Who could hate this?"

Me.

I tried to keep an open mind when I listened to the stuff on their website but I just thought it was stupid. It sounded like a dated bunch of old musicians making really cheesy hard rock. It sounds like they wrote these songs while watching tv or during a 2 or 3 hour jam session.

In my opinion "supergroups" are usually cash-cows that' date=' as a unit, rarely create music that doesn't sound like it was written in 20 minutes completely devoid of any of the talent or artistry that the members may posses on their own.

No offense but it sounds like music for middle aged guys who want to "rock out" to "new" music even though both the band and listeners are just living in the past.

I'm not arguing with you guys but merely explaining the thumbs down because I'm sure you're all wondering "Who could hate this?"

[/quote']

Well, I hear Cris Brown and Rihanna are working on a Duet. Maybe that's "New" enough for you.

Well' date=' I hear Cris Brown and Rihanna are working on a Duet. Maybe that's "New" enough for you. [/quote']

Actually I heard they already did that. It plays at my work everyday. It's really sh1tty. Chris Brown did a number on Rihanna recently and now when you beat your girlfriend people will say you "totally Chris Brown'd her."

What's "new" doesn't matter to me. Most of the music I listen to was written and released before I was born. I was just explaining why I voted the way I did because someone asked. I didn't say "CHICKENFOOT SUCKS!!!!", I stated the exact reasons why I didn't like it with no intentions of offending people.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy whatever music they like, just like people are entitled to their own opinions.

Actually I heard they already did that. It plays at my work everyday. It's really sh1tty. Chris Brown did a number on Rihanna recently and now when you beat your girlfriend people will say you "totally Chris Brown'd her."

What's "new" doesn't matter to me. Most of the music I listen to was written and released before I was born. I was just explaining why I voted the way I did because someone asked. I didn't say "CHICKENFOOT SUCKS!!!!"' date=' I stated the exact reasons why I didn't like it with no intentions of offending people.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy whatever music they like, just like people are entitled to their own opinions.[/quote']

Of course you can dislike it all you want, and I'm not offended. But your reason against it is an old one, and I've always been a little confused by it (not just Chicken Foot, but all seasoned artist who release new music). "It doesn't sound New or Fresh Enough". What exactly were you expecting from a Group of seasoned rockers? Something that doesn't sound like them? Maybe Satch should grab up Two Turn Tables and Sammy should start Beat Boxing? Or maybe a little Slack Tuning and Cookie Monster vocals would have spiced up the dino-mix?

Of course you can dislike it all you want' date=' and I'm not offended. But your reason against it is an old one, and I've always been a little confused by it (not just Chicken Foot, but all seasoned artist who release new music). "It doesn't sound New or Fresh Enough". What exactly were you expecting from a Group of seasoned rockers? Something that doesn't sound like them? Maybe Satch should grab up Two Turn Tables and Sammy should start Beat Boxing? Or maybe a little Slack Tuning and Cookie Monster vocals would have spiced up the dino-mix?[/quote']

See this is a discussion now, now we can have respectful fun.

It just seems like they wrote those songs in 5 minutes. While it is hard to stay relevant musically, its incredibly easy to just recycle your old ideas. Look at Paul McCartney, he's older than the song he wrote about being old, and yet he's still making music that is considered artistically relevant by critics and fans alike. His new stuff still has that Paul McCartney feel too. He's not re-defining music or making a collaboration with T-Pain, he just puts a lot of time into songwriting and conceptualism.

Chickenfoot just seems like entertainment and not art, and its not for me.

To be honest here, the guy at work who informed me of this new "supergroup" was a bit taken aback when I found and played for him the "Soap on a Rope" track. He read about the the development of the group, but had heard nothing from them. His first comment was, "In my opinion, that's a direct rip off of Loverboy's Lovin' every minute of it" I myself can sort of hear a little of that era's style of music in it, but to say it's a direct rip off? I don't know about that. I can deal with it so far. It does make my feet tap. We'll see how things develop from here, before I rate it myself.

....but I'm an old fart what do I know?

Archived