Gibson Brands Forums

My SG Special Faded gon Vintage

csacwp

Hello to all, this is my first post here (although I post a lot on Ultimate-Guitar Forums).

I'm 16 years old, and have been playing guitar for about a year. I've always loved Gibson SGs and have admired players who choose them as their axe. Growing up my role-model was Buck Dharma (BOC) and his white SG.

So about a year ago I got a Gibson SG Special Faded as my first guitar. It arrived perfectly set up to my liking, with low action, no fretbuzz, etc. I quickly got rid of the stock pickups and changed them out for Seymour Duncans (a 57' classic in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge). These pickups are in silver covers. Now my SG sounds and plays wonderfully!

I just had the guitar worked on some more... now it has a new "vintage-style" SG pickguard (you know, the one thats half of the full pickguard). It also has new Abolone inlays and Gibson knobs (black tophat with silver inserts).

So now my Special Faded is some kind of reissue. It looks, sounds, and playes like the great SGs that came before it.

Cheers!

I saved up a long time. I get $30 a month + extra depending on whether I babysit my sis.

I sold two of my 3 saxophones:

my Yamaha pro silverplate alto

and this crudy soprano from some unheard of brand

I than used both my birthday money and my christmas money!!

Finally, I had enough to get the SG... I decided a long time before that an Epiphone wouldn't do..

I have this philosophy that when buying your first instrument it should be as nice as possible. This held especially true with guitars, since the better made they are, the more playable they are. Also, I didn't want to get a better guitar in the future.

I saved up a long time. I get $30 a month + extra depending on whether I babysit my sis.

I sold two of my 3 saxophones:

my Yamaha pro silverplate alto

and this crudy soprano from some unheard of brand

I than used both my birthday money and my christmas money!!

Finally' date=' I had enough to get the SG... I decided a long time before that an Epiphone wouldn't do..

I have this philosophy that when buying your first instrument it should be as nice as possible. This held especially true with guitars, since the better made they are, the more playable they are. Also, I didn't want to get a better guitar in the future.[/quote']

Good for you. I make next to nothing at my entry level job. Im saving for a les paul, I know its tough.

Good job. I'm also a Saints fan, but, anyhow.....

You have a great life ahead of you. Knowing what you want, and finding a way to get it, is becoming a lost art.

I love the Big Easy, lived in Lake Charles, and have a huge place in my heart for SG's. It was the first "quality" guitar I gigged with.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Archived