Gibson Brands Forums

Sonex-180 question

kevin134

Sorry for double posting(its in the solid body section too) Guy wants to do a straight up trade my '06 epi Black Beauty for his '81 Sonex180, just looking for advice if its a good trade for me rather then him..

OK Guys, I am trying to get a possible trade going on a 1980 Sonex 180 Custom. To be honest, I know nothing about the guitar really. So, here's what I do know, its resinwood, came with two dirty fingers pups(zebra) and a coil tap and has a bolt on neck? Also trying to figure out about what one would be worth. He's asking $600 or trade for a epi les paul.. I got the epi.. Any help with some info would be great.. Am I really better off dumping the epi black beauty in favor of one of these?? Thanks (in the pics he has covers on the pups, but says they are original and that he added the covers).

l_81279ad6897847278d08609a0b8ffb21.jpg

Personally, I'd keep the epi. The Sonex and its brethren show up pretty frequently on ebay, and I've seen them go for as low as $280, but usually more around the 400-500 range. Most that I've seen up close have finish checking and wear spots, but the give the guitar the opposite of mojo. Soundwise, they're pretty comparable to an LP special, but the sonex doesn't have the perk of a set neck.

If it were me, I'd save my cash and upgrade the epi, or buy the sonex outright, but not for $600.

Archived