Gibson Brands Forums

Beat the Boom

fretplay

Can any members help me with a boom problem please.

I record with Cubase.  When listing to one of my tracks I discovered that there  was a booming sound on some of the notes that was not there before.  This is a voice and guitar recording done about ten years ago.  I have discovered that the boom is on my speakers but not when I listen through headphones.  The speakers are about six months old.

I would be most grateful for any advise. 

Mixes sound different on different Speakers… Mixes can sound great in your Studio & not sound great in your Car or Home Stereo system…  There can be many reasons why your Mix isn’t translating on a different Set of Speakers.. 

Could be as mentioned previously in the above Posts, the Speakers, the Mix or a number of other things.. Could be the Speakers?

Could be the Mix. Does the Mix sound good in your Car & on other Peoples Stereo Systems? Was the Mix done in an Acoustically treated Room? Did you Mix on 2-3 different types of Monitors? If your Mix sounds good in the Studio on Flat Nearfield Studio Monitors, good Home Stereo Speakers & a set of cheap Car type Speakers, your Computers speakers & Headphones it should sound good just about everywhere.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You'd have to be more specific with your speakers but it sound like they need to be pulled out from the wall a bit.

Yep, or consider what type of component those speakers are hooked up to and the setting on it.  And though wood is a great conductor of sound, speakers placed on a small tabletop(as Evans asserted) could play hell with their performance .  I had a similar problem with my home system with my subwoofer placed on a bare hardwood floor.  No problem in the previous home where the sub was set on a carpeted floor, but on a slab of wood placed on the floor under the sub.  In this place, I placed a small but thick throw rug on the bare hardwood, then another small slab of wood on IT, then the sub.  Problem solved.   In my case, the sub on the bare hardwood floor and located next to the  entertainment center my CD player was in caused the bass vibration from the sub's floor facing speaker to cause enough vibration to make my CD player skate. 

So, try locating those speakers on a more solid surface with no empty space beneath that surface.  

Whitefang