Gibson Brands Forums

Surf Music with a Gibson Les Paul + Video - Rated G for Gnarly.

Les Moore

I record this on my analog multitrack reel-to-reel. It's definitely not "purist" surf music instrumental, as it was done using a Gibson Les Paul using two amps, one was a Marshall Plexi Superlead reissue (not a surf amp), the other was a vintage Fender Dual Showman (definite surf amp) with its spring reverb totally cranked and an EHX Oceans 12 running through the back (send/return) of the Marshall . I put it to video, did all the instruments and all the video edits and composites.  While not completely derivative, it's definitely done as a more modern take on surf instrumental stuff with a nod back to that time and era in surf music.

Edited by Les Moore

• Les Moore changed the title to Surf Music with a Gibson Les Paul + Video - Rated G for Gnarly.

👍

Excellent - even got the cheesy organ!

Some nice wipeouts (and more [razz]) in the video.

I have a Dual Showman Reverb and a LP......and an old Park 100w .

Got me thinking...:-k

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

Sure sounded "surf-like" to me!  

So, why does playing it on an LP NOT make it "purist"?  Don't tell me you're one of those dinks who thinks certain types of music can ONLY be played on certain guitars!  Like the idiots who think only playing a Fender telecaster makes it "real" country music, or jazz isn't jazz unless it's played on a fat, arch-top hollow body. 

IMHO,  There's no such thing as a "jazz" guitar, or a "blues" guitar or even a "surf" guitar(or country ax either).  

Whitefang

Ha. I'm not like that at all...I agree. It's just the most, if not all, surf music is not done with an LP, and definitely not with a Marshall Plexi and that surf music crowd can be sticklers for it. Me? I couldn't care less. I love that Marshall with a drippy reverb on it, like a dirty surf sound...was actually the inspiration for the whole thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure sounded "surf-like" to me!  

So, why does playing it on an LP NOT make it "purist"?  Don't tell me you're one of those dinks who thinks certain types of music can ONLY be played on certain guitars!  Like the idiots who think only playing a Fender telecaster makes it "real" country music, or jazz isn't jazz unless it's played on a fat, arch-top hollow body. 

IMHO,  There's no such thing as a "jazz" guitar, or a "blues" guitar or even a "surf" guitar(or country ax either).  

Whitefang

Surf music must be played on a Stratocaster. Sunburst nonetheless. It's LA County law.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Les Moore said:

😂😂😂

Careful, man...the Jazzmaster-surf-music police will get you...

A 60s Jazzmaster is 6K nowadays. I surf with my Tele most of the time. 

My older brother surfed with a '66 Daphne blue Mustang, bought used in '68 for $60. That now buys a knob. Maybe.

Surf with what ya got, I say!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tman said:

Surf music must be played on a Stratocaster. Sunburst nonetheless. It's LA County law.

B-b-b-but......

Didn't THE VENTURES(at least according to their record and LP jackets) "... play the MOSRITE guitars exclusively" ?  [wink]

Whitefang

5 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

A 60s Jazzmaster is 6K nowadays. I surf with my Tele most of the time. 

My older brother surfed with a '66 Daphne blue Mustang, bought used in '68 for $60. That now buys a knob. Maybe.

Surf with what ya got, I say!

Yeah, not cheap these days...but a new one can be had for a lot less. American made would cost about $1500-1600 new...they are sweet.

Well, DUH!  :rolleyes:

Of course.  Like alluded to, every picture jacket of their 45s and on their LP covers  were either a photo of the group sporting those guitars and the words, "The Ventures play the Mostrite guitars exclusively".   Or both.  And since the group became so popular, Mosrite stamped the band's name on that particular model of guitar.  The band originally used Fender guitars until the Mosrite caught the attention of lead player Nokie Edwards and the rest is history.   Many of us were surprised to eventually learn that the company made other models besides that "signature".  (the "Combo" semi-hollow and "Gospel" semi).    

A friend of mine had a Ventures model back in the "day"('67), and it played and sounded extraordinary.  

Whitefang