Gibson Brands Forums

Push pull pots on the LP Classic

Nifty

I never paid attention to this stuff and now I'm really curious.   What is supposed to be the result of the combinations of pulled knobs on the LP Classic.  (I read "make it sound like a Tele".   I've poked around and just dont see a complete description. 

The spec says - 2 Push/Pull Volumes (Coil-Tap), 2 Push/Pull Tones (Pure Bypass/Phase).

The pure bypass (AFAIK) does exactly that; bypasses the circuitry to give you max output at full treble from the pickups.  So that might in fact defeat the other push/pulls.

The phase is obviously to try and recreate the Peter Green sound and should make most difference with the pickup selector switch in the mid-position.  The coil taps make each pickup sound more like a single-coil.

If you knew all this already, apologies!  There must be a youtube vid out there which demonstrates it.....:-k

Best wishes.

1 hour ago, Nifty said:

(I read "make it sound like a Tele".   I've poked around and just dont see a complete description. 

It will thin the sound out a little bit and  add different colors / variations to your tone options, 

is it usable?

yes!

but ... will it "sound like a telecaster"?   Nah, I've had plenty of guitars with coil taps, trust me... it wont go there.

THIS  one here??  yep.. sounds like a Telecaster

162403895_10216282797742111_532179137445

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

The spec says - 2 Push/Pull Volumes (Coil-Tap), 2 Push/Pull Tones (Pure Bypass/Phase).

The pure bypass (AFAIK) does exactly that; bypasses the circuitry to give you max output at full treble from the pickups.  So that might in fact defeat the other push/pulls.

The phase is obviously to try and recreate the Peter Green sound and should make most difference with the pickup selector switch in the mid-position.  The coil taps make each pickup sound more like a single-coil.

If you knew all this already, apologies!  There must be a youtube vid out there which demonstrates it.....:-k

Best wishes.

No i didnt in this detail.   Thanks for the answer.  

14 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Does anyone ever use the push pull coil split thingies? 

Maybe it's just me who's never heard a split coil sound good? 

Nope, not just you.  Waste of time and effort. Splits and taps sound like broken humbuckers or broken singles.

rct

• Like 1