Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard Setup

Jay-45

On 11/24/2021 at 8:28 PM, Jay-45 said:

This is my first experience with a short scale guitar. I am wondering which frets are most impacted with shortened widths. It seems that I am have to tighten up my shapes of open chords in the first three frets. Can you enlighten me on what the benefits and drawbacks are with the 24.75" scale vs the normal 25.5" scale that I was used to on other dreadnaughts. 

With short-scale guitars in terms of playability, I don't find a difference in fretting (that's more of a setup issue) but rather a comfortable snappiness of the strings, particularly the bass strings, which seem tighter or not as "loose" (if you can call it that).

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Hi Guys!   Thanks for all of the input, advice and tips on how to make to J-45 work for me. I listened to a lot of side by sides and can see that the J-45 is equal to or slightly better than to Martin D18 to my ears. So, that is good, Then, I also listened to D28, HD28, 000-28 and D35 comparisons. I think that I can see the future need to get a Rosewood back and sides guitar to playing the NY style acoustic note runs  that I like. Like "Tell Me Why" for example.  

So, my plan is to keep the J-45 and have it setup for easier playing.  Then, keep my eye out for a used Rosewood model. Unless someone would like to trade me a D28 for for J-45 :-) 

Good plan, Jay45!

I didn't do what I said I was going to do, play my Blues King...my Waterloo X braced (WL-14X) called me and after some serious practice in the lounge room, I ran down to my music room to record a track....my fingerpicking/vocal version of the trad blues, Corrina.

I posted it on AGF for those who want to hear:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632502

BluesKing777.