Gibson Brands Forums

Affirmative Action?

Homz

In its present form, the worst thing for blacks because it creates a well understood double standard that employers use in hiring decisions. Because it's easier for blacks to make it in college and with government programs, it makes it harder to succeed in real life.

I am about 40 lbs overweight and have sciatica. I think I should be an olympic pole vaulter and old fat bald guys who walk bad are grossly under-served in that part of the olympics. Therefore Affirmative Action should kick in to balance the scales.

You have the right to try out for the pole vault team. Minorities have not always had that alternative in the workplace.

I still remember George Wallace standing in the doorway of a state supported University telling people they could not go there because of their color. I remember ads in the local newspapers that said, "_______ need not apply." And there are too many today who view those as the "good ole days."

I have no problem with affirmative action, especially when it makes up for some pretty vile acts by the majority in the past.

If you are a white guy and lose a job opportunity or two, there are plenty more places to go. Besides, a lot of white folks who think they lost an opportunity to "affirmative action," probably weren't as qualified for the job as they thought. Just because a minority gets a job does not mean they weren't qualified. It might be that affirmative action has taken some of the opportunity for abuse away from the bigot making the hiring decision. That is good.

You have the right to try out for the pole vault team. Minorities have not always had that alternative in the workplace.

They do now. You're a fool if you don't think so.

I still remember George Wallace standing in the doorway of a state supported University telling people they could not go there because of their color. I remember ads in the local newspapers that said' date=' "_______ need not apply." And there are too many today who view those as the "good ole days."[/quote']

My own Grandfather was one of them. He was a hateful' date=' bitter old man but I understood why after I found out about his growing up in the Great Depression and working side by side with "them" and being treated just as poorly.

Add to that he was victimized regulary by them while trying to do nothing more than feed his family - he had no recourse.

What few police were around didn't care, and the landowners just wanted their crops tended. Do the job or leave.

Doesn't make it right, but I understood where he came from.

Where's my Golden Egg?

I have no problem with affirmative action' date=' especially when it makes up for some pretty vile acts by the majority in the past. [/quote']

So, you want ME to pay for events decades before MY birth?

Bite my ***.

What are YOU doing to make it right?

Yes, YOU!

What about compensation for the losses MY family suffered during the Civil War?

My Dad's family fought on the North to free the slaves.

I have yet to receive a Thank You card from a black man.

If you are a white guy and lose a job opportunity or two' date=' there are plenty more places to go. Besides, a lot of white folks who think they lost an opportunity to "affirmative action," probably weren't as qualified for the job as they thought. [/quote']

Hiring on merit means the most qualified person gets the job, I don't care what color he is.

Just because a minority gets a job does not mean they weren't qualified. It might be that affirmative action has taken some of the opportunity for abuse away from the bigot making the hiring decision.

In my field of endeavor' date=' we can never fill our quota of minorities because qualified candidates rarely apply.

The few that do represent a much larger percentage of successful applicants.

100 white guys and four minorities apply for four positions. We hire two of each.

50% of the minorities got the job, only 2% of the whites.

Yeah, that's fair.

Is EVERYBODY in the world (other than you) a bigot? That's ALL I ever see you type.

Maybe it's not everybody else, just anybody with any power, authority, or money?

What do YOU do for a living?

That is good.

I knew YOU would think so.

Neo, your whining gets old.

There are still plenty of bigots in hiring positions today to make right wingers happy (and secure).

Shoot, a lot of companies waste billions on HR people whose primary job is to find excuses not to hire minorities.

Neo' date=' your whining gets old.[/quote']

So does yours.

There are still plenty of bigots in hiring positions today to make right wingers happy (and secure).

Really?

Name one.

Shoot' date=' a lot of companies waste billions on HR people whose primary job is to find excuses not to hire minorities. [/quote']

If you had evidence that even ONE was doing it they would face crippling litigation.

Looney Lobotomized Lefty Liberals have over run the media, the business world, and just about every industry.

Somebody will squeal like a pig and run to a lawyer or TV station if they have ANY evidence.

You're delusional and typically liberal, facts mean nothing to you, the truth is subjective and you'll never answer a question.

NO!

"...I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character..."

My daughter didn't need any affirmative action for help. She busted her *** since she was a little girl she new she would have to work harder than her white older brother just or unjust it was a fact. She got straight A's all through school. Got herself into a private High school with all the rich kids. Drove her old rusty '74 La Mans to school and parked it with all the kids new cars. And got her self into Yale on grades. No help needed.

100_5974.jpg

Yeah, but it's not fair that she had to work so hard....

:-)

Bravo, Mick!

Give her a big hi five when you see here, tell her it was from me.

I hope she's not evil, mean and nasty to all the lazy pudding-brained Liberals who will be working for her.....

My favorite "Affirmative Action Story" is from 1976, when I was still an employee of Pacific Tel. & Tel. in San Francisco. Our supervisor called our group into his office to explain the new rules and regs under Title somethingorother, having to do with Affirmative Action. No longer would it be acceptable to refer to a fellow employee in terms of his/her gender, ethnicity, color, religion, yada yada yada.

He then proceeded to read, from a prepared list, the numbers of various ethnic groups and women who had been promoted into first level management in the preceding month. :-k=D> =D>

Were any of them competent enough to do the job?

How many stayed in their 'given' position for any period of time?

One practice I saw many times with all the PC tokenism going on, was the promotion of idiots.

If they could not be fired, and they didn't have any ambition to do the job if they stayed, there was only one way out.

Up.

They were encouraged to apply for higher positions.

Many of them knew they were not wanted where they were and wanted to get out.

Boy, they thought they were hot sh!t when they got selected for interviews....

:-)

We would all put in a good word for them, even joke about taking up a collection to bribe the HR people for them.

They would get the job and then wind up over their head. Swimming with sharks in the white collar world isn't easy.

Sooner or later they would screw up bad enough to get fired, and they were above union protection.

If they had just done their damned job to start with....

Contrary to the probable presumption on my beliefs. I think any system that uses race, culture, heritage or sex as a basis for anything other then the staffing of a new rendition of the 'Village People' is a flawed system. Everyone should stand on their own merits not be advanced due to the color of their skin.

The concept of this is simply another from of racism.

I think that the fact that we just elected our first black president shows that we no longer need affirmative action. If a black man can be elected to the world's most powerful office . . . why should we keep whining about race in our country.

About a decade ago, I was doing some investigative work for a chain of shoe stores called Shoe Carnival. I made two wonderful friends in one of the stores, both black men, who worked their asses off, were good parents (not anybody's baby daddy) and had goals set for themselves. Both were managers, and damn good ones. Thier boss, the regional vice president, was guess what . . . a black man. Also a good man, goal oriented and a family man. AND GUESS WHAT, none of them got in there positions due to affirmative action. They were simply good at what they were doing.

I heard one of these men really dressing down one of the "homies" that worked at the store. He told him to get his act together, stop blaming everything on the man, and step up and be a man.

I've been this store manager's friend ever since then.

BTW, both of these men had family that wallowed in the stereotype. They blamed all their hardships on the man, didn't work, had a bunch of kids but weren't stepping up to be a dad. They chose to rise above. And this lesson is a lesson that all races can learn.

I've been gone from the forums for far too long. That felt good.

Contrary to the probable presumption on my beliefs. I think any system that uses race, culture, heritage or sex as a basis for anything other then the staffing of a new rendition of the 'Village People' is a flawed system. Everyone should stand on their own merits not be advanced due to the color of their skin.

The concept of this is simply another from of racism.

End quote

Doesn't this kind of undermine everything you've posted up to now?

I don't think what Homz is saying undermines anything he's said, it's his position. He is well aware that affirmative action is just another way of judging someone based on the color of their skin. He's right, plain and simple, and as a society we need to recognize that race is essentially irrelevant. If Robert Byrd, a former Grand Cyclops of the KKK (yes that was the actual title, buncha kooks) can change his ways to the point where he campaigned for Barack Obama I think anyone has a chance of overcoming prejudice

BTW' date=' both of these men had family that wallowed in the stereotype.

[/quote']

That sterotype is a good justification for "affirmative action" in my opinion. Too many have unfair/incorrect perspectives. And for anyone to think it doesn't affect the "man" when he makes hiring decisions, is ludicrous. I've been to Cleveland, Tenn many times -- you'd have a hard time denying it happens in that mecca of diversity (and that is little different from where I live).

Besides, why is it that right wingers always assume a minority who gets a job or promotion, got it because of "affirmative action?"

Pause.

My thought is that if people think the minority got it only because of affirmative action -- ie, the person wasn't as qualified as "me" -- that is another good reason for affirmative action.

How in the crud would one know the minority wasn't qualified? You don't know how they did in the interview, you don't really know their background, education, etc., that might actually make them a better hire than the majority guy who always thinks the minority is unqualified and got the job because of affirmative action.

Cracks me up.

Archived