Gibson Brands Forums

"Weepin and Wailing" - with my 1935 Gibson Black Special #4 Archtop.

BluesKing777

Something different?

I dragged out the old 1935 Gibson Black Special #4 archtop for some bluesy fingerpicked old timey gospel, with a tip of the hat to M. John Hurt and Carter Family!

Vocal and archtop through one mic (Neumann KM185) to mixer/Garageband.

Click here to see a large version

Click here to see a large version

owJDj50h.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Thanks JZ!

I was just posting some pics as you posted.....

The old girl had a nice setup just after I bought it 7 or 8 years ago and it is still really nice to play - it was horrible when I got it! It has the same big V neck as my Waterloos! Bill must have copied my guitar's neck.....

Take a 1935 to the Blues Night at the Bowls Club? It would look and sound cool (it has a 'pickup in a floating bridge he installed), but  it won't happen. But look at these new suckers from Waterloo! They even have a tuxedo model but the burst would be nice...

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-review-waterloo-wl-at/

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Quite nice off his vid demo recording.  5K new here for that one...and there's a lot I can do in the vintage jungle with that wallet. 

Your Gibson was just fine, considering you seemed to record flat with little tweak.  The W'Loo demo was all EQ'd up.

I've been pretty immune to buying urges lately, so keep your finds to yourself. 

Well the newbie is a bit steep but it is 'Collings Built', so...

It would never smell like my 1935 "ashtray with beer spilled in it last week" smell!😎

My 35 is great for blues fingerpicking! Probably why I have it, but other styles are interesting. going to play it some more after I have some lunch! Soon!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Baseball Hall of fame country, aren't you? (saw it on TV - House Hunters or something).

After reading that review above, a new Waterloo archtop is getting to be...URGENT! 😆

$6999 Aus Dollars here! One in Sydney, 546 miles and 9 hours 10 mins away, we are told....

Win some Lotto and I will have the black one AND the burst one and I believe there is an all maple natural one!

..................................back to my 35!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777