Gibson Brands Forums

1966 B25 color issues

VEN

Cherry sunburst finishes from that time period do have a tendency to fade to a brownish color—not quite the same as your golden B25 there, but who knows what environment the guitar was subjected to (smoky bars turning cherry sunbursts into dark bursts, etc). I would check the guitar thoroughly over for any overspray or a refinish job.

I've never seen a mid-60s cherryburst to fade to that particular color, or that evenly. They usually fade to something similar to the modern "ice tea" burst, sort of a faded tannish yellow, often showing slightly darker around the edges of the top. Having said that, a look inside at the edges of the soundhole with a mirror may tell a tale.

Is the color the same on the sides?

I usually associate that screwed-on pickguard with 1968, but being Gibson, anything is possible. Since the pickguard is just screwed on with tiny screws --no adhesive, as I recall from removing one many years ago--I would pop it off and have a look underneath.

From the two small holes just outside the soundhole, it has had a D'Armond soundhole pickup, or something similar, at some point in time.

9 hours ago, VEN said:

Customer claims it was originally cherry red and changed over the years to this gold coloron its own. Is this an original color for this guitar ? And would red turn to this ? Thanks 

Doubt it - there would be a ghost-red aura around it, which would reveal itself here and there when looking closer. j45nick's idea about screwing the p-guard off is obvious.                                                                                   Do that and report - could be good fun to see us go wrong.

This pair will give you a hint -                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
JwkpiJh.jpg

And Mister Taylor will give you another - 

F6tHsws.jpg

His vintage guitar never saw the slightest stain of cherry - a J-50 it is. 

All 3 are early 60s models.