Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1965 J-45

hojo199

I have spent my whole life (and  I'm  not young) seeking a tone. I finally found it. Traded a 2020 Martin OM21 and a Princeton Reverb reissue for it. It's perfect. Original and 100% crack/break free. Electric guitar action and no buzzing. BIG bottom....

IMG_0607SMALL.jpg

IMG_0604 SMALL.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats!  While I am not a fan of cherryburst finishes the faded ones do look a country mile better than what came fresh out of the factory.   The guitar does seem to be in fine condition.  Not only will you run into different nut widths on guitars built in 1965 as noted but a shallower headstock angle both of which were courtesy of the new automatic neck machines Gibson installed that year.  What you get depends on when your guitar rolled out of the factory.

Edited by zombywoof

23 hours ago, j45nick said:

Nice looking, with a beautifully-faded cherryburst top.

Can you check the width of the nut to tell us if it is 1 9/16", 1 5/8", or 1 11/16"? 1965 was a transition year for Gibson neck widths.

Congratulations on a great find.

It feels like 1 5/8" just a tad narrower than the 11/16" standard

22 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Oooohh, what a gem - it even looks like a 11/16. 

Be happy, , , and for the holy mackerel's sake don't ever change that saddle. Can't help asking if it was the Donovan sound you were after. .

It's "Fire and "Rain" is what it is. I am not changing the saddle. I had a '68 once and did that and it ruined the tone. I don't want a modern sound. I want THIS sound! Think the saddle is 1 5/8' just a touch narrower than the 1 11/16"

And the case it superb too. 

Very nice! And it looks exactly like my 1965 J-50. Funny, I had to look closely at your picture to see the difference. The finish on mine is just as dark as yours and yours has darkened so much that the burst is hardly noticeable. Mine has the original rosewood adjustable saddle however, is that the original on yours or a replacement? FWIW, I wouldn't want "electric guitar action" on any acoustic - but the nice thing about the ADJ bridge is that it's easy to change.

Enjoy your new vintage guitar!

Be happy, , , and for the holy mackerel's sake don't ever change that saddle. Can't help asking if it was the Donovan sound you were after. .

10 hours ago, hojo199 said:

It's "Fire and "Rain" is what it is. I am not changing the saddle. I had a '68 once and did that and it ruined the tone. I don't want a modern sound. I want THIS sound! Think the saddle is 1 5/8' just a touch narrower than the 1 11/16"

Aha, I see and understand, , , then have to ask if you are aware that Taylor played that song on the rosewood version of the saddle. . 🧐

Edited by E-minor7

On 12/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, Kwlsky said:

That's a beauty. Congratulations on your find! I would ask you what was it about the tone that spoke to you, but I know words can fall short of describing it.  I know I haven't found my perfect guitar yet. 

"Fire and Rain" every note. Has that JT 1970 J50 tone when fingerpicked -- I mean exact! When strummed it's got that Beatles, Donovan thing. Sonically -- VERY deep without mud. Crisp enough with no harshness.... Not super loud, great to sing over

16 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Aha, I see and understand, , , then have to ask if you are aware that Taylor played that song on the rosewood version of the saddle. . 🧐

Oh yeah, but it doesn't matter. It's got it. As I said, I'm not messing with this one....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Boyd said:

Very nice! And it looks exactly like my 1965 J-50. Funny, I had to look closely at your picture to see the difference. The finish on mine is just as dark as yours and yours has darkened so much that the burst is hardly noticeable. Mine has the original rosewood adjustable saddle however, is that the original on yours or a replacement? FWIW, I wouldn't want "electric guitar action" on any acoustic - but the nice thing about the ADJ bridge is that it's easy to change.

Enjoy your new vintage guitar!

You know, when the action is super low like that and it doesn't buzz anywhere, it's a thing of beauty.It had 10's on it when I got it, and I put 12's on it and had to adjust exactly nothing. That is remarkable -- two string sizes and the guitar doesn't move at all....

9 hours ago, hojo199 said:

Oh yeah, but it doesn't matter. It's got it. As I said, I'm not messing with this one....

Wouldn't doubt you and have to say that the 3-4 early 60s adj. bridge J-45s I've tried all were terrific. 

I like my own a lot too - but that one has the controversial and special plastic bridge, , , , which won't be replaced as long as it belongs to this temple. 

1963 ~ The 1963 cherry 45