Gibson Brands Forums

Raw Power ? Pretty raw?

dc3c46

I just checked gibson.com and discovered this latest line : "Raw Power"

Gibson's product manager seems to have lost it.

Looks like raw crap to me: totally stripped down, cheap looking and not worthy

the Gibson name.Compared to this Studios look like Customs.

It really seems that Gibson likes to sacrifice quality to quantity.

:-##-o :)

Gibson is just tapping a huge market with the lower priced guitars. They are still making the higher end models for folks with the means to purchase them, but everyone doesnt have the money to buy the high end models.

Actually, the way I see it they would be stupid not to fulfill this market along with the higher priced models that they have always excelled with.

I agree. Gibson have always done this. If they had not done this, we would never have been given the LP Jr or the LP Special, which are now legendary guitars that are played to this day by some of the best in the world.

I dont like the Raw Power and wouldnt buy one myself - but if I was 20 yo and didnt have a lot of cash, I probably would consider it.

It Starts with a Solid Maple Body…

The principal feature of any Les Paul is its maple cap. Whether it’s the beautifully figured flames of the Burst models, or the plain maple used for solid color finishes, a Les Paul isn’t a Les Paul without it. What sets apart the new Les Paul Studio Raw Power from any other Les Paul is the addition of a solid maple body, instead of the usual mahogany. The result is a more articulate, brighter tone, with a strong, more penetrating attack to each note. It is a tone unlike any other Les Paul, and it’s only available in the Les Paul Raw Power. Of course, like all the woods used by Gibson, the maple is personally inspected and qualified by Gibson’s team of skilled wood experts before it enters the Gibson factories. The maple is also 100 percent certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, making it the first fully FSC-certified series of guitars in the Gibson line. Inside Gibson USA’s factories, humidity and temperature are carefully monitored to insure that all woods maintain an equal moisture content, or “equilibrium,” This means the moisture content is controlled during the manufacturing process, guaranteeing tight-fitting joints and no expansion. It also controls the shrinkage, warping and weight of the woods. Consistent moisture content means that every Gibson guitar will respond evenly to temperature and humidity changes long after it leaves the factory.

22-Fret Maple Fingerboard

At first glance, the all-new maple fingerboard of the Les Paul Studio Raw Power causes you to do a double-take. Play it and you immediately feel the difference between the Les Paul Studio Raw Power and all other Les Pauls. The maple makes each note literally jump off the fingerboard. The tone is snappier, the response quicker, and the clarity in unmatched. And like all Gibson fingerboards, the maple is personally inspected and qualified by Gibson’s team of skilled wood experts before entering the factory. The 12-inch radius of the fingerboard provides smooth note bending capabilities and eliminates “dead” or “choked out” notes, which are common occurrences on fingerboards with lesser radiuses.

The principal feature of any Les Paul is its maple cap. Whether it’s the beautifully figured flames of the Burst models' date=' or the plain maple used for solid color finishes, a Les Paul isn’t a Les Paul without it. What sets apart the new Les Paul Studio Raw Power from any other Les Paul is the addition of a solid maple body, instead of the usual mahogany. The result is a more articulate, brighter tone, with a strong, more penetrating attack to each note. It is a tone unlike any other Les Paul, and it’s only available in the Les Paul Raw Power. Of course, like all the woods used by Gibson, the maple is personally inspected and qualified by Gibson’s team of skilled wood experts before it enters the Gibson factories. The maple is also 100 percent certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, making it the first fully FSC-certified series of guitars in the Gibson line. Inside Gibson USA’s factories, humidity and temperature are carefully monitored to insure that all woods maintain an equal moisture content, or “equilibrium,” This means the moisture content is controlled during the manufacturing process, guaranteeing tight-fitting joints and no expansion. It also controls the shrinkage, warping and weight of the woods. Consistent moisture content means that every Gibson guitar will respond evenly to temperature and humidity changes long after it leaves the factory.

22-Fret Maple Fingerboard

At first glance, the all-new maple fingerboard of the Les Paul Studio Raw Power causes you to do a double-take. Play it and you immediately feel the difference between the Les Paul Studio Raw Power and all other Les Pauls. The maple makes each note literally jump off the fingerboard. The tone is snappier, the response quicker, and the clarity in unmatched. And like all Gibson fingerboards, the maple is personally inspected and qualified by Gibson’s team of skilled wood experts before entering the factory. The 12-inch radius of the fingerboard provides smooth note bending capabilities and eliminates “dead” or “choked out” notes, which are common occurrences on fingerboards with lesser radiuses.

[/quote']

Nice job axe! :- :-#

What do you think about these AXE? I'd like to try one myself. I read somewhere once that a solid maple guitar is what Les Paul really wanted in the original LP, but that the Gibson folks thought it would be to heavy. I'll bet that these babies rock with the maple neck and '57 classics.

I'd like to see them match the headstock colors to the bodies, and yes, I'd like to try one before passing judgement.

With the bland colors, the black ones are the only color that really looks right to me. Matching the headstock might make the difference.

Does it mean they are going to make them completely solid? Or maybe they are talking about chambered "solid"?

And... do you like them AXE? I don't like the fretboard... would have to try one to see if I like the weight, tone and feel... but the fretboard doesn't do anything for me...

I dont like the Raw Power and wouldnt buy one myself - but if I was 20 yo and didnt have a lot of cash' date=' I probably would consider it.[/quote']

Hey now, wait a minute, how can you sa-... meh, who am I kidding... how much of a noob (or just plain pathetic) am I for wanting one of these? I'm actually serious now, I'm thinking of getting one, not because they'll be cheap (will they?), but I don't know... they kinda do something for me (I've lost it, totally lost it). Anyone had any experience will all maple guitars?

Hey now' date=' wait a minute, how can you sa-... meh, who am I kidding... how much of a noob (or just plain pathetic) am I for wanting one of these? I'm actually serious now, I'm thinking of getting one, not because they'll be cheap (will they?), but I don't know... they kinda do something for me (I've lost it, totally lost it). Anyone had any experience will all maple guitars?[/quote']

Only an L6-S. I liked the tone, but hated the look.

I think they're very interesting and would love to try one out for myself. I know you can never please everyone, and in this case I think I would have preferred Modern Classic p/u's over the more vintage 57's, but oh well.

I'm interested, I think they may be a players instrument.

Remember, Les himself wanted the Les Paul to be solid Maple.

As far as chambered I can't tell if it has a solid piece.

If it has a maple body and a maple cap .(two piece) it could be chambered. If it's one piece, highly unlikely.

I just talked to my local dealer about these, and he called Gibson to get the scoop. They are scheduled to begin building them this month, with first runs hopefully shipping by the end of the month. All finish colors will be available with chrome or gold hardware (which is great, because I wanted either the natural or the blue/platinum burst with chrome hardware, but the natural is shown online with gold only) and according to my rep, they are chambered. He said he wasnt sure if the guy said "chambered" or "weight relieved" though when I asked him for clarification though, so hopefully it's just swiss cheese and not swiming pool. I'm not putting any money down until they get one in for me to try out, but with the added weight of maple over mahogany, it might balance out the generally hollow and lightweight feel of the chambering if that is the case, resulting in a very sweet playing guitar. If I end up getting the natural finish one, I may have it refinished with a gloss coat, if I can find somebody trustworthy enough to do it for me. It's a shame they didn't go with the 490/498 pickup combo though, I was hoping for hotter pups than the ones in my traditional.

As for price, suggested street price is something like $1,119... my local shop is going to price them at $999, so they are right in line with the faded series, but hopefully much cooler. We'll see, I guess.

From the specs page ....

Chambered Body

There’s something about playing a guitar with perfect tone, balance, and weight. One of the ways the expert craftsmen at Gibson USA achieve this equilibrium is by carving carefully mapped-out chambers in the Les Paul’s solid mahogany back using a Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) router before the maple top is glued on. The positioning of the routes was established after careful examination of the resonant characteristics of the Les Paul. Gibson approached this process with the awareness that every change to the formula would have repercussions on the instrument’s sound. So, in addition to relieving the stress on a player’s back and shoulder, these lighter Gibson guitars also enhance the tone palette in a manner unique only to these guitars. The results are comfortable, lightweight guitars that are acoustically louder, with increased sustain and resonance.

Archived