Gibson Brands Forums

Is It Too Early For Christmas Songs?

DanvillRob

6 hours ago, TomPhx said:

Not too early in my opinion, after Thanksgiving it's all good. Nice song, sounding extra good with your 12 string.

I heard this song...and I told Cindy I was going to steal it....she said Okay, as long as I credit her with the song writing.

It all depends.  I can listen to Steeleye Spans's "Gaudete" or the Pogues "Fairytale of New York" while an August thunderstorm is raging outside.  And listening to Elvis Costello's "St Stephen's Day Murders" it is impossible not to wish he had written a whole LP of Christmas songs.

But yeah, anything from December 1 on is pretty much fair game when it comes to Christmas songs. I also agree with others that 12 string was a great choice for Cindy's tune.

Good Insight….  If I’d spent half the time I’ve been on this forum practicing, I might be able to remember the dreaded 8th note in Jingle Bels without having to dig out my Christmas Carols book. 
Seriously, traditional Christmas songs seem to lend themselves to interpretation, embellishment and  greater enjoyment.  Don’t know if it’s because they’re embedded in our minds, associated with good times, or are just really well constructed songs.  
Thanks DR !   And, Merry Christmas! 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Good Insight….  If I’d spent half the time I’ve been on this forum practicing, I might be able to remember the dreaded 8th note in Jingle Bels without having to dig out my Christmas Carols book. 
Seriously, traditional Christmas songs seem to lend themselves to interpretation, embellishment and  greater enjoyment.  Don’t know if it’s because they’re embedded in our minds, associated with good times, or are just really well constructed songs.  
Thanks DR !   And, Merry Christmas! 

I think a little of both..... embedded in our minds (like once a year for our entire lives) and many really are GREAT songs!

Ever heard this Nat King Cole song?

• Like 1