Gibson Brands Forums

Reworked song, most likely with Sheryl SJ

Lars68

Here is a song I wrote and recorded a while back. I just finished reworking the vocals and the mixing recently. I think the song sounds better now. Unfortunately, I don't quite remember which guitar I used, but I think it was my 2012 Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo.

Please feel free to add any constructive feedback you may have…

Lars

Lars, I think the vocals were another whole level of outstanding improvement. I dare say that the next stop on your journey is to sing without fear. There's a lot of smoothness and projection going on that I think you thought was close to impossible just a year ago.

On the mixing part, I thought the guitar's natural fullness was done very well. I really dig hearing the low end of even the high strings on the Gibsons and Martins(and others). You captured and mixed it very well. Nice space on vocals, pad and guitar, too.

Bravo!!!!

8 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Lars, I think the vocals were another whole level of outstanding improvement. I dare say that the next stop on your journey is to sing without fear. There's a lot of smoothness and projection going on that I think you thought was close to impossible just a year ago.

On the mixing part, I thought the guitar's natural fullness was done very well. I really dig hearing the low end of even the high strings on the Gibsons and Martins(and others). You captured and mixed it very well. Nice space on vocals, pad and guitar, too.

Bravo!!!!

This is very, very encouraging for me to hear. Thanks for taking the time.

Lars

I remember this song, Lars!  You have DEFINITELY improved your vocals.   You are stretching-out the vocals like never before.  AND, I really like the guitar playing.  Sweet, my friend!…..The gentle piano  also adds to the song……I still think and hope that one day you  will show your talent at an “open mic.”  You might not know it, but you’re ready.  Whatever you do, you’re sounding real good.  I enjoyed it!

Edited by MissouriPicker

2 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I remember this song, Lars!  You have DEFINITELY improved your vocals.   You are stretching-out the vocals like never before.  AND, I really like the guitar playing.  Sweet, my friend!…..The gentle piano  also adds to the song……I still think and hope that one day you  will show your talent at an “open mic.”  You might not know it, but you’re ready.  Whatever you do, you’re sounding real good.  I enjoyed it!

Thanks a lot, MP! You have heard my efforts from the beginning, so I know you have a pretty good idea of where I started. I'm glad to hear I'm making good progress. What has frustrated me in the past, and continues to do so, to some extent, is my ability to get the music I hear in my head out. It's a work-in-progress.

As for playing ”open mic”, that is still a stretch for me. To be honest, I find it very difficult to even play my RECORDED music in front of other people (it's actually easier putting it out anonymously to strangers on the internet). To this day, I have not played live in front of anybody, including family and friends.  Playing  live in front of complete strangers feels far away. I often record myself on my phone, just to hear what I sound like, and although the results are mostly okey, doing that in front of people is a big, big step…maybe one day…

Lars

Lars, I've been pondering the open mic thing for when my voice becomes much more consistent. I also think it'd be nerve wracking as can be. To that end, I plan on scouting them out to find that low-key place with the supportive and small crowd by default. As it stands, I think only my wife and son have heard me play & sing songs. I still have a better vocal with her out of the room. If I look at her and see her foot move, my rhythm goes out the window.

Strangely enough, I've got about a dozen songs or so on  a little set-list that I call "Wooooo Sons"  Those I can do on all but the worst of vocals days.