Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone hummingbird inspired by gibson

pnikola007

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find one to buy you are doing pretty good right now.

I called GC last week, he told my they have a little over 200 on order, already spoken for.  Due sometime next month or so!

I did find a used demo, but it was sold before I could blink.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an IBG Epi J200 it was supposed to be a Demo with some dings and dents. Instead they sent me a brand new J200 because the demo was sold after I ordered it.  It sounded ok when I got it about 2 months ago. In the last 2 weeks I replaced what I thought was a cheap mass produced not very well made bone saddle that had the intonation off on all strings. I had a custom saddle made for it replaced the plastic bridge pins with bone and experimented with different strings and gauges. I settled on Martin Monel Tony Rice strings. The difference these changes made are amazing. The sound went from ok to pretty awesome. The bass improved the most and the high end . The overall volume is much better the intonation is perfect. I did when I replaced the saddle take the pickup ribbon under the original saddle and pull it into the body and taped it down.  The IBG J200 is well made and bracing is done well the finish is really nice on the body and the maple. back and sides are  beautiful. Polishing the back and sides with Lizard Spit brought out the grain in the solid maple back and sides.  Holding back the potential of this J200 were a cheaply mass produced saddle, cheap plastic pins and strings to light to drive the top.

Well I have the IBG Hummingbird and did some very similar mods myself - like above I changed the pins from plastic to bone pins I 'aged' in coffee  and also like above I removed the UST ribbon and taped it inside the guitar and made my own saddle from a bone blank I also 'aged' in a cup with tea-bags - plays beautifully and I'm using Martin Titanium strings which are very lush and rich.

I treated the bridge with Music Nomad F-One fretboard conditioner to give it a darker, slightly more finished look - before and after pictures below of my replacement 'aged' saddle and the bridge treatment.

b7y0WuDl.jpg6hmWopol.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 5:48 AM, Brucebubs said:

Well I have the IBG Hummingbird and did some very similar mods myself - like above I changed the pins from plastic to bone pins I 'aged' in coffee  and also like above I removed the UST ribbon and taped it inside the guitar and made my own saddle from a bone blank I also 'aged' in a cup with tea-bags - plays beautifully and I'm using Martin Titanium strings which are very lush and rich.

I treated the bridge with Music Nomad F-One fretboard conditioner to give it a darker, slightly more finished look - before and after pictures below of my replacement 'aged' saddle and the bridge treatment.

b7y0WuDl.jpg6hmWopol.jpg

I was going to remove the pickup. But I read on another forum you just tape the  ribbon inside. I wonder if I got the idea from you. I have a 2012 Bird and removed the pickup this is easier and if I ever sold it the pickup is intact. I've been thinking of getting the Epi Bird just to compare the two everything I hear about them is good. I think they come closest to a Gibson of all the IBG models. My Epi J200 sounds just like a Eastman AC630 jumbo. I know I have one. There so close I'm thinking they could be made in the same factory.

1 hour ago, John Joseph said:

I was going to remove the pickup. But I read on another forum you just tape the  ribbon inside. I wonder if I got the idea from you. I have a 2012 Bird and removed the pickup this is easier and if I ever sold it the pickup is intact. I've been thinking of getting the Epi Bird just to compare the two everything I hear about them is good. I think they come closest to a Gibson of all the IBG models. My Epi J200 sounds just like a Eastman AC630 jumbo. I know I have one. There so close I'm thinking they could be made in the same factory.

Those Eastman AC630  are beautiful looking guitars, every one I've seen looks stunning.

My IBG lives with these guitars.

Fof03qKl.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 1:01 AM, John Joseph said:

I bought an IBG Epi J200 it was supposed to be a Demo with some dings and dents. Instead they sent me a brand new J200 because the demo was sold after I ordered it.  It sounded ok when I got it about 2 months ago. In the last 2 weeks I replaced what I thought was a cheap mass produced not very well made bone saddle that had the intonation off on all strings. I had a custom saddle made for it replaced the plastic bridge pins with bone and experimented with different strings and gauges. I settled on Martin Monel Tony Rice strings. The difference these changes made are amazing. The sound went from ok to pretty awesome. The bass improved the most and the high end . The overall volume is much better the intonation is perfect. I did when I replaced the saddle take the pickup ribbon under the original saddle and pull it into the body and taped it down.  The IBG J200 is well made and bracing is done well the finish is really nice on the body and the maple. back and sides are  beautiful. Polishing the back and sides with Lizard Spit brought out the grain in the solid maple back and sides.  Holding back the potential of this J200 were a cheaply mass produced saddle, cheap plastic pins and strings to light to drive the top.

Did you do this since you don't plug it in?  So that it has better vibrational transfer between the Bridge and the Saddle?