Gibson Brands Forums

Gimme some fun songs/solos

callen3615

Leslie West, the guitarist for Mountain, taught for a while. He said guitar players learn a lot in the first 2 years. From 2 to 5, they level out and don't improve much. From 5 on, they form their own style and continue to get better. You may have hit the stale 2 to 5 era early. I would suggest buying an effect or two to keep it interesting. Try a flanger, chorus, echo, etc.

I find a good chord progression is always fun to learn and keeps you entertained for a while.

It's kinda old, and some people might think it's wimpy but New kid In Town by The Eagles is a great progression and goes though a few key changes. There're also some really tasty lead fills thoughout the song.

Get a chord book, generator, on-line or whatever and learn a handful of new chords and experiment with them.

Now is also a good time to perhaps take the time and learn more scales like the melodic minor (unless you have not learned the majors - learn them first).

For something fun try some old .38 special - hold on loosly or rockin' into the night.

EDIT: For a solo how about Rush's "Lime light"

Flat Foot Floogie, Tender Trap, Satin Doll, Corcovado, Georgia, Georgia Brown, Doctor Jazz, Blues in the Night, Our Love is Here to Stay, Blue Moon, Rainy Days and Mondays, One Less Bell To Answer, I'll Remember April, Lullaby of Birdland, Bluesette, I Don't Know Enough About You, Volare, Kick in the Head ... C-W: Cheating Heart, Cold Cold Heart, Walk the Line, Ring of Fire, Folsom prison, So Lonesome I Could Cry, RockIsland Line, Wildwood Flower, the Rose, Fraulein, Paper Roses, Paper Doll, Paper Moon, L-O-V-E, Since I Fell For You, Since I Met You Baby, Since I Don't Have You, O-o-o-o- Baby Baby, Come Go With me, Breakin Up is Hard to Do, Buttercup, Peggy Sue, Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Little Deuce Coupe, Johnny B. Goode, Mean Woman Blues, Memphis Tennessee, Fox On The Run, Long Black Veil, Rollin In My Sweet Baby's Arms, Cigarettes and Whiskey and Wild Wild Wimmen, Beautiful Brown Eyes .... that'll get ya started.

Take up bluegrass. That oughta keep you busy for a while!! LOL

Seriously, though, there's a ton of styles in the Zep catalog alone and plenty that should keep your interest. If you can figure out how JP makes that sound like he dropped his amp before he does the solo on "In The Evening," let me know!

Of the things mentioned, my other suggestion is to try your hand at composing. If you don't want to write your own stuff, try mixing it up and improv your own solo on some stuff you've already learned.

Archived