Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars in the garage, in a vocal booth ok?


jimmystrings
 Share

Recommended Posts

hi all, I'm getting a practice room put in my garage. It's one of those enclosed vocal booths with a ventilation system. I'd like to be able to leave my nice guitars in there so I can just jump in and play but I'm worried about potential temperature swings ruining them. I'm in Southern California so it won't get too cold, but heat in the summer could be an issue. Garage temps would be 55-95 I'd imagine.
 
Again, it would be inside the booth but I'm not sure how bad that would still be. I'd at least keep it in a hard case in there but I'm wondering if I should get a cheap sacrificial guitar to keep in there instead and only bring in the Gibsons when I need to record. Specifically a Gibson acoustic and Gibson electrics guitars. 
 
Any tips would be much appreciated!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in So Cal & left Guitars in my Garage Studio & regret it.. I’d recommend you don’t… Unless it has A/C & Heat … Possibly a humidifier too.

Weather is too unpredictable… We get extremes.. 50 degrees, sometimes lower, up to 100+ degrees sometimes. I ruined a couple Guitars & a Set of vintage Slingerland Drums.

I still have a Garage Rehearsal Studio & also Project Studio in my House.. A converted Bedroom… My house is thermostatically controlled & always 71-78 degrees.. Guitars I use all the time I hang in my Project Studio. Ones not used all the time are kept in their Cases..

I never leave my Guitars in the Garage Studio… Only when we play…

Better safe than sorry..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And besides, if the humidity climbs during certain seasons, why would you want to put a humidifier in the garage?  Are we talking an attached garage with insulated sides covered with drywall?

Whitefang

I live in So Cal & have never owned a humidifier.. It’s not a problem where I live..

But, If a humidifier is needed periodically, turn it on.. When not needed, turn it off…. 
 

Edited by Larsongs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jimmystrings said:

Funny thing is, that was the cheaper guitar I was talking about lol. I was gonna just keep the strat in there

Among  the guitars I now have, Nine.  I own one Fender product  and it's the cheapest one. A Jaguar.  But I can't ever play it because our Doberman Pinscher always sees the metal on it flashing a white spot on the walls and ceiling and barks at it the whole time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jimmystrings said:

Funny thing is, that was the cheaper guitar I was talking about lol. I was gonna just keep the strat in there

Like I said earlier I live in SoCal & been there done that.. Why even ask if you really don’t want advice from those who live in your area who already paid the price for being lazy & doing that genius move?? Good luck..

Edited by Larsongs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the OP  was sincere in his request for input, and did not intend to disrespect you by saying BBP's comment was coincidentally funny -  because he was thinking of a Fender as the only guitar he would keep out there if the advice here was to NOT leave his Gibsons out there.    Clearly the message  here is to not risk it - as you also wrote - and I'm guessing he got it.    

Now, if we could only all agree on the differences between a humidifier and a de-humidifier.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Like I said earlier I live in SoCal & been there done that.. Why even ask if you really don’t want advice from those who live in your area who already paid the price for being lazy & doing that genius move?? Good luck..

calm down my man

I read your post and appreciated it. I wasn't going to keep my J45 out there but wasn't sure if the LP or Strat would fare better. Given the advice in here, I'm planning on now getting a cheaper, used guitar to keep out there so I can still jump in and play with low friction and not be sad if it's toast in a year or two. I was hoping I could at least keep my American Strat out there but I don't want that ruined either. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jimmystrings said:

calm down my man

I read your post and appreciated it. I wasn't going to keep my J45 out there but wasn't sure if the LP or Strat would fare better. Given the advice in here, I'm planning on now getting a cheaper, used guitar to keep out there so I can still jump in and play with low friction and not be sad if it's toast in a year or two. I was hoping I could at least keep my American Strat out there but I don't want that ruined either. 

 

 

ya,,   but after 10 minutes,  you're heading inside to get one of the ones stored in the house!   Doood...  the struggle is REAL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kidblast said:

ya,,   but after 10 minutes,  you're heading inside to get one of the ones stored in the house!   Doood...  the struggle is REAL!

That’s is 100% accurate 🙂

I just have to make sure I bring those back in. I can practice guitar inside with headphones, it’s the playing and singing that gets loud which is why I’m getting the booth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jimmystrings said:

That’s is 100% accurate 🙂

I just have to make sure I bring those back in. I can practice guitar inside with headphones, it’s the playing and singing that gets loud which is why I’m getting the booth

yea,, but in time, you will sort it all out.   it's totally worth having the space to go to.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jimmystrings said:

calm down my man

I read your post and appreciated it. I wasn't going to keep my J45 out there but wasn't sure if the LP or Strat would fare better. Given the advice in here, I'm planning on now getting a cheaper, used guitar to keep out there so I can still jump in and play with low friction and not be sad if it's toast in a year or two. I was hoping I could at least keep my American Strat out there but I don't want that ruined either. 

 

 

Good luck…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep my Fender American Tele out in my shop 24/7/365.  The temp in there goes from 80 in the summer to just about freezing at night in the winter.  It's been out there for about 6 or 8 years and I've only had to bang down a couple of frets once.  I don't remember the last time I touched the trussrod.

On the other hand, any Gibson I've ever left in there over night when it's cold needed a trussrod tightening the next day.  And the neck never settles back to where they were before they got chilled.  If I leavi them out there again, they'll need another trussrod tightening.

So that's why I say the Fenders can take stuff that the Gibsons can't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

I keep my Fender American Tele out in my shop 24/7/365.  The temp in there goes from 80 in the summer to just about freezing at night in the winter.  It's been out there for about 6 or 8 years and I've only had to bang down a couple of frets once.  I don't remember the last time I touched the trussrod.

On the other hand, any Gibson I've ever left in there over night when it's cold needed a trussrod tightening the next day.  And the neck never settles back to where they were before they got chilled.  If I leavi them out there again, they'll need another trussrod tightening.

So that's why I say the Fenders can take stuff that the Gibsons can't.

I had  1975 Fender P Bass, Sunburst with Maple neck. Best Bass I ever played… I live in So Cal & weather is usually moderate as is humidity… I kept it in my Garage Studio.. One day I went to play it & the neck was warped… It actually twisted.

Our weather is usually moderate but not always… One night it got cold, frost on the ground… And I guess that’s when it happened…. I tried to have it repaired but it was beyond repair… Needed a new Neck.. Even with a new correct Fender Maple neck it was never the same…. 

Edited by Larsongs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...